potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
I have my first mead clearing. I am trying to better understand potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate before I bottle. The problem is there is a lot of conflicting info out there. I would like to preserve the mead, but I don't want it to taste like sulfur or geraniums.

Can anyone tell me if these are important to add to mead and if it will risk causing off flavors?

I have my first mead clearing. I am trying to better understand potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate before I bottle. The problem is there is a lot of conflicting info out there. I would like to preserve the mead, but I don't want it to taste like sulfur or geraniums.

Can anyone tell me if these are important to add to mead and if it will risk causing off flavors?

I use sulfites, as it's a good antioxidant and as a winemaker primarily, it's done routinely.

I almost never use sorbate, as I don't make sweetened wines or meads very often, so I don't add sorbate. Sorbate is used to inhibit yeast reproduction, so if the mead is going to be sweetened it's important to use.

Back