Pot Size vs brew batch size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juskojj

Reaction score
so i typically brew AG 1 gallon or 2 or 2.5 gallon batches. so i've heard a 5 gallon pot will work well for a 2.5 gallon batch, right? so my question is can i use it for 1 gallon batches as well or is it too much pot? could i use 2 smaller pots for the boil and split the hops ect.. equally? what are the drawbacks for using a bigger pot for smaller batches? i'm guessing a higher boil off rate?

I used to do 2.5/3 gallon batches with 5 gallon kettle which worked, but when it was coming up to a boil I always had to be ready to turn down heat or take off burner to avoid boil overs. I recently switched to 5 gallon batches in a 10 gallon pot and I am at much MUCH more ease now. I would think that scorching is much more likely if you have a smaller volume in a large pot, particularly if its a not tall and narrow one. I would also venture to think hop utilization would be reduced and yes, probably higher boil off rate as well. Those are my thoughts on it..

I've had the same question myself. I have done a couple 5 gallon batches using a 10 gallon pot but the pot is a bit wider than my propane burner. I suppose boil off would be higher but does that really affect anything other than now you have to add water? its not like you're boiling off fermentables.

Back