Post botteling wait period - I cheated, and wow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airspeed

Reaction score
Hi all,

So my second-to-last batch the recipe called for three weeks in the bottle with priming sugar for carbonization. After three days I could not help but open a bottle - I cheated! :D

I got a full head on pouring, and the taste was terrific. This is basically a lighter Bavarian Hefe LME recipe I did at a full boil.

Now I did it again, I cheated after one week, and the beer tastes serve-able for a party I am doing tonight. Full crown, rich flavors, right weight in taste.

So what happens in the remaining two weeks' I wait? Am I missing out on something here?

conditioning time mainly...
it's like marinating something for 30 minutes instead of overnight whree flavors can develop more. If they're tasting good now, no reason not to drink them... just keep them around in the bottle longer, at least a few for a few weeks so you can see what happens.
Although that'd be a better test with something like a stout or an ESB. but stll fun

Perhaps the most frustrating thing about this silly hobby .. you taste it and taste it to see when it's at its peak - and then it's GONE

I resemble that remark...

I think my "disappointing" first attempt at an Oatmeal Stout is just about coming into it's own after 3 months and I only have about 6 12oz bottles left :(

conditioning time mainly...
it's like marinating something for 30 minutes instead of overnight whree flavors can develop more. If they're tasting good now, no reason not to drink them... just keep them around in the bottle longer, at least a few for a few weeks so you can see what happens.
Although that'd be a better test with something like a stout or an ESB. but stll fun

What a great analogy. Well said.

So my second-to-last batch the recipe called for three weeks in the bottle with priming sugar for carbonization. After three days I could not help but open a bottle - I cheated! :D

I got a full head on pouring, and the taste was terrific. This is basically a lighter Bavarian Hefe LME recipe I did at a full boil.ght in taste.

So what happens in the remaining two weeks' I wait? Am I missing out on something here?

Three weeks is recommended to ensure the beer is carb'd. It is summer, and higher temperatures will tend to carb beers quicker.

Some beers can take months (high gravity ales).

For 'fresh' beers, the yeast has consumed the priming sugar in a day or so, so there should be carbonation in a few days. It takes a while for equilibrium to be reached (CO2 to be fully dissolved in the beer). I always open a bottle at 1 week and it is usually decent, but I find carbonation more lasting in the glass if I leave it longer.

Hefs are the only beers that I enjoy after only a few days (WY3068). It seems to carbonate super fast as long as it's warm and the slight 'maltiness' that is still there from the priming sugar complements the banana. I actually prefer them this young than after a few weeks.

I use US-05 a lot though, and it tastes awful in typical American Ales before at least 10 days.

Three weeks is recommended to ensure the beer is carb'd. It is summer, and higher temperatures will tend to carb beers quicker.

Some beers can take months (high gravity ales).

For 'fresh' beers, the yeast has consumed the priming sugar in a day or so, so there should be carbonation in a few days. It takes a while for equilibrium to be reached (CO2 to be fully dissolved in the beer). I always open a bottle at 1 week and it is usually decent, but I find carbonation more lasting in the glass if I leave it longer.

But that's the rub - it carbed in 48 hours, no kidding!

I think it has to do with the fact of it being wheat.

I find, by the way, Hefe to be extremely rewarding in brewing. It is my preferred taste anyhow. I used to drink Franziskaner (now I don't - my stuff is simply even better and more exciting!)

The general rule of thumb is that beers that are light in color and/or low in alcohol will be ready to drink pretty quickly. Your hefe is a good example because hefe means 'with yeast" and your yeast won't have had time to fully settle out at 3 days. Leaving that particular beer for 3 months would take away much of its character.

As you get into darker beers and beers with more alcohol, it will take longer for the flavors to meld and smooth out. A high gravity stout will taste pretty raw at a week, much better at 3 months, better yet at 6 months. While the "3 weeks to carbonate" is a decent all around figure, it can be very wrong for different beers.

Back