Possible Underattenuation, How Should I Plan Ahead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powers

Reaction score
I brewed up a robust porter on Sunday and pitched a healthy dose of yeast slurry from an ESB that had just finished. The yeast is Wyeast's Denny's Favorite 50. The temperature has remained a constant 65 degrees for both brews.

The ESB moved from a gravity of 50 down to 20 over two weeks, but seems to have stalled out at 20 now. Once the krausen dissipated, the gravity only moved from 22 to 20 over a week. I'd have liked this go get closer to 15, but I'm okay with 20.

The porter started out at a gravity of 60 and fermented fast and hard for 4 1/2 days, but now the krausen has largely dropped and just a few clustered bubbles remain. I took a gravity reading this morning and it is right at 40.

It's only been 4 1/2 days, but I do have some pattern to show there is reason to think if this follows the patterns of the ESB, the beer is pretty much done fermenting or stuck at a gravity of 40. I'm going to wait a few more days and check again, but if its still near 40, what methods can I employ to get this down to a gravity of 16-20?

My initial thoughts are to pitch a different yeast with a good attenuation track record or to add nutrient and give a good swirl. I could raise the temp, but it seems 65 should be right in the middle range for Denny's Favorite.

So, it appears your apparent attenuation is anywhere from 30% to 60% so, yeah that is a bit short of the 70 to 75% AA listed for the strain.

Pitch more yeast, pitch a different yeast, feed it (Nutrient or Energizer), more O2, work it warmer, .....

All ways to combat low attenuation from a yeast.

the only method i hesitate on is more 02. can i aerate in the middle of fermentation?

Back