Possible stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaltersmi

Reaction score
I haven't brewed in several years, but was recently given an extract kit for my birthday, so I'm jumping back in. I brewed (Night Cap Cherry Stout from MidWest Supplies) this past Sunday using Safale S-04 dry yeast. I forgot to take a hyrdometer reading of the OG.

Per the yeast package instructions, I sprinkled the dry yeast (not rehydrated) on top of the cooled wort in the primary fermenting after having aerated with a sanitized spoon. It's been three days and I haven't seen much activity at all in the fermenter (~1 airlock bubble every 2 minutes). The fermenter is currently at about 67 degrees F.

Is it possible that my yeast isn't doing its' thing because I didn't rehyrdrate prior to pitching? Should I do any of the following:

1) Open up the fermenter and stir the wort in hopes of stimulating the yeast.
2) Re-pitch a new hydrated pack of S-04.
3) Relax, do nothing, and give it more time.
4) A combination of any of the above options.

Well airlock activity is not a good option if you want to see if you fermentation it´s doing well, if is a bucket try to peak in it if you see krausen forming you are ok, maybe the lid on the fermenter it´s not air tigth and you are not seeing the airlock bubbling cause co2 it´s escaping trough some other place in you lid.

If your using a bucket, make sure the lid is on tight. I had something similar happen and i didnt see much fermentation for days, only to realize my bucket lid wasnt fully sealed so most of it was coming out the lid.

A stuck fermentation means that the beer started fermenting and then stopped and hasn't moved.

You have not taken a reading so you have no idea if its stuck or not. As stated already airlock activity is not an indicator of fermentation, only that gasses are escaping and that could be from fermentation, bumping the vessel, pressure changes etc.

You can take a gravity reading and see where it's at and then you know exactly what is occurring and go from there

Back