Possible stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

octo

Reaction score
I made an oatmeal stout last weekend, did a partial mash recipe and used S-04 yeast. I use a small 4 gallon pot, so i had to top off with water. When I topped off with water and checked my og, it was undershot by around 15 points (was supposed to be 1.050 and came up 1.035, which is like 30% efficiency) :eek: anyways, I when i pitched the yeast, it krausened up the first and second night then the krausen dropped, so i checked the gravity. it read 1.020. this was last tuesday, I rechecked the gravity today and its still at 1.020.. is this just done? The projected FG was 1.010 according to beersmith.. :confused:

I'm going to let it sit for at least another week.

At what temp did you strike in at and hold your mash at? If it was real high you would have produced a lot of unfermentable sugars leaving you with a higher than expected FG. Also if you topped off with water and took a Grav reading before mixing really really well you could have produced an inaqurate reading from the beginning. warm it up to 70 deg. wait a week, bottle it RDWHAHB

I mashed it at i think around 152, which i thought was pretty low. Also I took my gravity reading after aerating it pretty well, after mixing the water. Ill let it warm to see if it gets any more fermentation going on though. It does have 1/2lb lactose in it though. I dont know how much that would affect it.

Back