Possible Milled Grain abuse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrcmatt

Reaction score
I stopped by the brew store and picked up the goods for an american pale ale, including 15 pounds of milled grains. they packaged the grain in a paper bag with the top rolled down and taped shut, per usual. I intended to brew right away but, it didn't work out that way.

I left the milled grains in my car for a few days. It has been warm and sunny. So those grains were in my car with the greenhouse effect making it quite warm inside the car. left the bag there for 3 or 4 days.

I just brewed with the grains. My efficiency was about 10% lower than normal.

So my question is, did I damage the grain somehow with the high temps in the car and would that effect efficiency?

I don't know how to account for the low efficiency... and wondering if the temp played a part.

Ideally you should store milled grain in a sealed container or bag in the fridge or freezer until use. I think by leaving them in the car exposed to the heat and air you affected the freshness more than anything. Did you take in account the heat of the grains when you mashed in or did you let them cool down to room temp before mashing in.

they were cooled when I brewed. I realized the bag was in the car and put it in a cool dry closet for a few days before I could brew.

I was thinking about the enzyme action and if the temp in the car somehow reduced the enzymatic power. I know mash temp far exceeds the temp in the car, but just wondering.

Ideally you should store milled grain in a sealed container or bag in the fridge or freezer until use. I think by leaving them in the car exposed to the heat and air you affected the freshness more than anything. Did you take in account the heat of the grains when you mashed in or did you let them cool down to room temp before mashing in.

Dry is important, really important for storing grains. Moisture can collect on items in fridges, so they're not always the best place to store grain.

Back