Possible issue during cooldown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripeland

Reaction score
Brew day was going well until I started the cooldown using my immersion chiller. The hose connection broke when I turned on the tap. Long story short I got about a cup or two of garden hose water into 5 gallons of near boiling wort. I fixed the chiller and proceeded with the rest of the day as best I could.

My concern would be if the chlorine in the garden hose water would give bad chlorophenols after fermentation.

Is this brew destined for failure? Or is the amount of water minimal and not noticeable?

Nothing you can do about it now. Relax, have a homebrew, and hope for the best!

BTW, my immersion chiller came with vinyl hoses. I found I had to tighten the clamps very frequently because the hoses were deforming from the heat and leaking...but tightening the clamps just further damaged the hoses.
I've now upgraded to silicone hoses (and butterfly hose clamps) so I don't have to deal with that nonsense.

Hope the beer turns out fine. Cheers.

Thanks guys. I'll see how it goes, hoping to serve at Christmas.

I think I'll invest in some proper compression fittings so this doesn't happen again.

The hose water went into hot wort, so little chance of it causing an infection. As to chlorine, consider that about a pint of water spilled into 5 gallons of wort. Whatever chlorine is in that water was diluted 40:1. I doubt you will notice any effects from that. The only detriment is that your OG will be slightly lower. Your beer will be fine.

Latest posts

Back