Possible infection???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HnyBadger

Reaction score
Today I racked to secondary and this was what my primary looked like. I don't know if it is an infection or not. It smells yummy and didn't taste that bad. Its been in primary for a week. It is a Autumn amber ale pitched with wyeast 1056 Any thoughts?

20120902_100801.jpg

Seems fine to me? Those just look like residual CO2 bubbles. The krausen will subside after a few days once fermentation slows, I hardly have any when I transfer to secondary. Relax and have a home brew!

Well I kinda figured it was OK considering the smell/taste. I followed the instructions and it said to rack in a week. I guess I should of did a gravity reading consecutive days. I had a SG of 1.047 and FG of 1.013 which isn't that far off what it should of been. It's my first batch so I learned from this lesson. And for the record, Honey badger does care about bad beer! Cheers!

HnyBadger said:
Well I kinda figured it was OK considering the smell/taste. I followed the instructions and it said to rack in a week. I guess I should of did a gravity reading consecutive days. I had a SG of 1.047 and FG of 1.013 which isn't that far off what it should of been. It's my first batch so I learned from this lesson. And for the record, Honey badger does care about bad beer! Cheers!

A daily grav reading with the hydrometer will show you if the yeast is eating still it not, after u get 2-3 consistent readogs go ahead and rack. All the kits I did too when I first stared advised racking after a week but i think they just generalize the instructions to make it easier on ya. Different strains=different periods of fermentation.

Back