Possible infection. Savable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmains

Reaction score
I opened up my two secondary fermenters (Stone IPA clone and GLBC Burning River clone) and found this in both. Before I realized it was an infection and I just thought it was some hop residue, I kegged the Stone clone. After tasting it.... whew is it sour... I figured it may be infected. My question is, can I save the other? Skim off the top? Anything?

Thanks!
-Tyler

Edit: The bag is a dry hopping bag. Everything was sanitized as best as I could. With StarSan

SS856951.jpg

Do you like the flavor? If it still tastes alright then save it. You can't uninfect the beer, but keeping it cold will slow down any progression. If you want to drink it then keg it up and drink it quick. You may want to consider new soft parts for the kegs, and it may be time to replace any plastic that came into contact with the infected beer, or dedicate them to sours only.

I tasted the IPA that's in the keg this morning. I don't like the taste at all. Is it possible that it will mellow out in the next few days? Or just going to get worse?

As far as the pale ale pictured above, I haven't touched it yet. It's still in the secondary. Should I skim off and keg?

I tasted the IPA that's in the keg this morning. I don't like the taste at all. Is it possible that it will mellow out in the next few days? Or just going to get worse?

As far as the pale ale pictured above, I haven't touched it yet. It's still in the secondary. Should I skim off and keg?

Have you tasted the pale ale yet? I'd pull a sample and taste it before making a decision.
As for the other one mellowing, I can only speak from experience from one of my batchs of beer that was 'off'. It did change a little, but never tasted 'good' to me.

I pulled a sample from the pale ale. It still tastes good. My thoughts now are to either dump the IPA to a bucket and repitch yeast so I can bottle condition and then keg the pale ale. Or to just go ahead and bottle the pale ale.

Only thing is I'm trying to get this drinkable by next Saturday (1 week). Think it'll bottle condition in 1 week?

Thanks

I'd keg if you got a week. It usually takes 2 weeks to bottle carb for me. Although you probably could rush it if you put it somewhere in the low 70's.

Repitching yeast won't do anything if the IPA is infected. If you like the flavor I'd keg it and be sure to clean the hell out of the line when it's kicked. It's only going to get more sour with time. Other off flavors might fade depending upon the flavor, but sour will only dominate more, although I've noticed they taste BAD after about six months and then develop into great. I have a separate bottling bucket, siphon, etc for my sour beers to be safe and never had a contaminated beer - although I ferment everything is the same area. I've never had a sour IPA. This makes me want to try brewing a sour west coast style IPA.

I pulled a sample from the pale ale. It still tastes good. My thoughts now are to either dump the IPA to a bucket and repitch yeast so I can bottle condition and then keg the pale ale. Or to just go ahead and bottle the pale ale.

Only thing is I'm trying to get this drinkable by next Saturday (1 week). Think it'll bottle condition in 1 week?

Thanks

I don't have any experience kegging (yet). I try and have 3 weeks in bottle for a decent carbonation.

Back