Ported Big Mouth Bubbler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fimpster

Reaction score
I just got an email from Northern Brewer this morning saying they have come out with a ported Big Mouth Bubbler.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/siphonless-big-mouth-bubbler-ported-6-5-gallon

I have been planning on adding another 6.5 gallon plastic BMB to my kit for a while now, so when I saw this email I pulled the trigger. As of now they are offering them for the same price as the non-ported versions, but it looks like it's only an introductory offer.

So, anyone else planning to get a ported BMB?

I use a non-ported one, and I love it. Easy to use. I also have an Ale Pail as other primary vessel. Been thinking about getting a third, but I've never used a ported fermenter. What advantage does it provide?

You wont need a racking cane or siphon. You just attach tubing to the port, and open the port to transfer to your keg, bottle bucket, etc.

I have a couple 30L Spiedels which are ported, and it is such a nice feature.

I ordered 2 of the 5 gallon ported big mouths for secondary to test them out before ordering more, and I have two complaints.

1. The bottom strap of the carrying harness lies right across the spigot, so this leaves you the option of running the strap under or across the spigot putting undue stress on it.

2. One of the two spigots is leaking while testing with water. This is clearly an easy fix, and I'm sure northern brewer will take care of it as soon as I contact them.

All in all I think it's a good idea, but I'm still new to brewing and a sucker for gimmicks.

I pulled the trigger yesterday and got a 6.5 ported BMB with the dual ported lid for my thermoprobe and airlock. Checked my order status today, and it's still "pending fulfillment", and that model is now out of stock on the website. Really hope I got my order in on time, I was hoping to test it out in my new ferm chamber this weekend...

Well, looks like mine is delayed. Talked to the guy at NB and he said it should arrive early next week, and I even got a $10 gift card out of it.

I've been wondering about those, but still leery about getting something that could potentially leak. That's my biggest fear of them. I have two regular plastic BMBs and the plastic seems thin compared to my Better Bottles.

But, I love the option of racking just above the trub and not have to use an auto-siphon. Harvesting the yeast cake would be good and these things are super easy to clean compared to the Better Bottles.

I have been using the ported better bottles for more than two years and I love the racking valve that comes with those. I saw northern brewer's ported big mouth bubbler, but it lacks the adjustable racking cane of the better bottle. So I bought two un-ported big mouth bubblers and I plan on installing the racking valve setup from one of my better bottles which is due for retirement and I bought another racking valve to install in the other. It is not my idea, someone on this forum already did it, but it combines the best of the two systems so I am stoked.

I have been using the ported better bottles for more than two years and I love the racking valve that comes with those. I saw northern brewer's ported big mouth bubbler, but it lacks the adjustable racking cane of the better bottle. So I bought two un-ported big mouth bubblers and I plan on installing the racking valve setup from one of my better bottles which is due for retirement and I bought another racking valve to install in the other. It is not my idea, someone on this forum already did it, but it combines the best of the two systems so I am stoked.

Did you do this? How's it working out?

I just drilled a one 8nch hole and used a bottling bucket spigot. Cheap and it does not leak. Just make sure that you take off the rough edges after drilling.

After using mine for a few months, it doesn't seal 100% as it is. Have to create one on your own. I love the concept, but am unsure what to do going forward. I may use it as the vessel that I'm willing to take risks with.

Back