Portable keg gas opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefmike

Reaction score
I wanted to hear what people think about the various portable options.

I have the choice to buy either an adapter for 20oz CO2 tank (paintball style pin valve type)
D97.jpg

or do the portable keg charger
CO2KegChargerth.jpg

both of these would be pushing a 5 foot hose and a party tap. Just for me and the wife (at the beach), not a crowd. I am packing it in the car for the 8 hour drive, and drinking on it for the week.

Was originally leaning toward the paintball tank, but now I am thinking the second would be more compact. The keg is already carbed up, so it is just for pushing it.

What do you like about your portable set up? Any pointers?

You'd need a regulator for the paintball tank whereas the small charger just uses manual, guestimate shots of gas. The charger is the cheapest outlay but may be more expensive over a long term use due to the generally high cost of the cartridges.

I'd stick with the CO2 charger because of the low initial cost. It doesn't sound like you'll be using it too often and I believe that one cartridge will push an entire corny keg.

I recommend the 20oz paintball tank option, hands down.

It's much cheaper long term and you don't have to worry about running out of those expensive little cartridges. It also maintains your set dispense pressure and prevents trigger happy people from over pressurizing your beer.

I purchased my portable setup from Kegconnection, including a holster for easier transport.

Holster%20with%20beanerBORDER_thumb.jpg

Not quite. In my experience it takes at least 3 12gram carts to push 5 gallons, but it would take a little more if you wanted to preserve say 2.5 volumes over a week.

Wow, you're right. I thought "No way", and did the math. 5-6 cartridges (approx), for 5 gallons of CO2 at 38F and 12 PSI.....so if you're using 3 carts to push 5 gallons, some of your CO2 is coming out of solution from the beer and you're losing carbonation...I vote paintball canister too.

My recommendation would be based on how often you think you'll need a portable solution. If it's twice a year, I'd go with the lower initial cost, the charger. You can get the 12g carts for about 50 cents each. It certainly is more portable if you have to carry the setup for any length of time like a hike-in camping trip.

I have a CO2 injector, a 20oz paintball tank and a 24oz paintball tank.

For personal use, the injector is fine. I would not want to use it at a party, though. Too much trouble and too much risk.

Hmm... good responses.

I forgot to mention I have a regulator for the paintball tank... it is off an old homebrew setup from a craigslist find, not what I use on my kegerator. The high pressure guage is broken, but I think the rest works.

It seems like the 20 oz would be more set it and forget it.

the tap will work with either from the sounds of it.

Now to see if austin has the adaptor... I found it at Williams brewing... but the state sale is @ austin brew supply tomorrow for GA

I vote for the 20oz tank...and regulator. You can take the HP gauge off...and plug the port. I've got some extra plugs if you need one. All you really need is the low pressure gauge. I think it's important to store your kegs for the week at a good pressure so that your beer stays properly conditioned. You don't want it getting too over carbed or going flat on you.

Another advantage is...You can go to just about any Wal Mart sporting goods section and get a full paintball tank if you have a problem. Some are open 24 hrs a day. I don't know about the gram cartridges...but I've heard the ones they sell for BB guns have oil in them. Like I say --- I don't really know. But just thinking...where would you go if you ran out of them on day three...with three more days to go? If you have the regulator with paintball adapter --- I think you're ahead of the game.

With a few parts...a digital scale...and some careful study online. You can refill your paintball tank at home from your kegerator tank. You just have to have someone hold the larger tank upside down...so liquid co2 will flow into the paintball tank. The paintball forums have tons of info out there.

I broke down and got a 50# siphon tank. I can fill my 20#, 5#, 20oz, plus air rifle tank...and bulk co2 is much cheaper... Less than a dollar a pound.

I hadn't checked kegconnection... I don't know why. I got my other stuff from them and really like doing business with them.

I think I am going to do the 20 oz and use my old regulator.

Chuggs- I will check with the welding house here in town for a plug for the HP guage. I can't get the old one off, so I will see if they will do it. They are good guys. And they switch out a 20lb tank for $15.

I will look into it.

Keg should be conditioned. I primed it just over a month ago and it is sitting at 70*. I plan on holding it at that temp until it is at the beach, then cooling it and holding it cold all week. Until it floats. No one leaves until it floats. :mug:

Chuggs- I will check with the welding house here in town for a plug for the HP guage. I can't get the old one off, so I will see if they will do it. They are good guys. And they switch out a 20lb tank for $15.

A quick note... the Tank Stem and the High Pressure Gauges on Primary Regulators made by IMI Cornelius are Left Hand Thread. They use thread sealer when they put them together. A quick pass with a propane torch just to warm the joint will soften the sealer and you'll be able to take the joint apart.

The plug would be Left Hand Thread as well...

$15 is a great deal on 20lb tanks. I'm paying $48 for 50 lbs usually.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie!

I knew there had to be a trick. I decided I would wait and go ask the boys at the shop, so as not to eff it up. My normal method involves breaking item in question first, then learning how it works. Second time is a charm.

Now I can get my parts together!

I ordered the adapter for the 20 oz tank... from williams brewing, as their shipping was cheaper. I probably should have called kegconnection and asked if they would drop the shipping, but I did not have much time this morning. So I went with $6 shipping instead of $11 shipping on a $12 part.

And then spent the extra money on yeast, as williams carries all that.

I also remebered I have a hgih pressure guage sitting in my kegerator parts box, so I should be good to go, once I get the 20oz tank filled.

I have a couple 12oz and 20oz paintball tanks from back in the day when I played. If you already have them, buying the $10 adapter is super cheap esp if you have an extra reg for carbing (I use one on the kegerator and one just for carbing). If you have the setup rock it, if not I would defiantly just get the charger, more portable and way cheaper. I dont paintball anymore so, may as well make a use for the tanks!

EDIT: Didnt read the whole thread :D:D.... Hope it turns out to work for ya!

Back