Portable igloo cooler kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah....I ordered the Igloo 70Qt roller from amazon since no one had them in stock locally (50 mile radius). The 2 DID NOT FIT :mad: (Interior was too narrow)

I even picked up a Rubbermaid 60 Qt. Wheeled Cooler but it was 1/2-1" too short interior wise.

I had to go BIG and get the Rubbermaid 75 qt. Blue Wheeled Cooler MONSTER.....but the 2 x 2.5 gallon (9" dia x 14 3/4" tall) cornies I picked up from AIH fit nicely!

I just got all of the other goodies (Perlicks, SS Shanks, Gas/Beer Lines, barbs, 20oz CO2 tank, adapter, etc, etc. etc) in so I should build it tonight or tomorrow.

I have a few batches I am contemplating bringing to a reunion on Saturday. I should have fun with it though!

Have Kegs will travel!!!

benducklow said:
Has anyone tried these 2.5 gal kegs in the Igloo 70qt roller cooler?

http://www.homebrewing.org/25-Gallon-Ball-Lock-Keg-W-Metal-Handles_p_2823.html

It says they are 9" wide but don't have the black rubber skirting at the bottom... they actually look like they are indented at the bottom so they can stack on one another.

If these are the stackable, they do not fit. I got two of the kegs, excited about turning my cube cooler into a rolling kegerator, and they didn't fit. Now my cube is a swamp cooler and I bought a different rolling cooler for taps.

I have the exact same stackables and they fit in the Rubbermaid 75qt just fine.

This is the cooler
image-2866268235.jpg

This is with the 2 kegs......notice the orientation of the handles. That worked for me

image-3756048873.jpg

This is with 1 side closed.
image-2282744233.jpg

I am making some progress with the portable cooler Kegerator.

I will knock out the gas lines and tank mount tomorrow. I might even be able to take it for a test RUN!! :ban:

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

That cooler was to small as I recall for my use. Try the igloo 70qt wheeled cooler it's taller and will accommodate two 2.5gal kegs nicely plus a 5# CO2 bottle with regulator. The 3 gal kegs aren't much taller then the 2.5's. I have the 60qt igloo wheeled it was cheaper (half the price) but the lid had no cavity so I couldn't close it with the CO2 bottle and regulator inside.
http://www.walmart.com/search/searc...l0=e&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=34487416418&wl4=&veh=sem

i know about the one u posted... its the same one everyone else is using, but i was looking to get 3 kegs into ... i alrdy have a way to mount the tank on the outside to save some space.. are you saying that its basically to short to house em?

someone posted this one earlier in the thread:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermai...00c050511ba0&bucket_id=000&findingMethod=p13n

but was using 2 of those cheap Chinese kegs.. still looked like enough space stagger 3 of them

Sorry I misunderstood you will need something different for three kegs. I misspoke on the 5# CO2 bottle it won't fit with two kegs inside the 70qt you'd need the paint ball bottle for that. Good luck on your project!

I'm about to build this with the maxcold 70qt cooler. I ordered it from Walmart for around $40.

I also found this deal on 3 gallon kegs (best price I could find) thought I'd share:

http://www.greatfermentations.com/Soda-Keg-3-gal-ball-lock/productinfo/15C07-121/

I ordered two of them and shipping is a flat rate of $8.99.

I got my kegs about 30 minutes ago. They didn't fit because of the small rubber bump formed on the bottom rubber guard. I suspected that would be the case.

I took an old wood chisel that was still sharp. I heated it on the gas stove and ran it through the bump all the way around.

Worked like a charm and doesn't leave the keg looking all mangled. They fit and I am HAPPY and ready to build a portable kegerator! Holliday parties will be classy this year. cross:

image_zps4d283eb1.jpg

image_zpsd5f81fdb.jpg

I only use mine about once per year but they sure are nice to have. I pulled mine out this evening as we're headed to Flagstaff for the weekend.

I only use mine about once per year but they sure are nice to have. I pulled mine out this evening as we're headed to Flagstaff for the weekend.

I know mine will get used more than once a year. It'll probably be used more than once this year alone and I just build it. We go on one major vacation each year and a bunch of small ones.

My girlfriend plays softball for a beer league. I'll be bringing it to those games as well. I even have the perfect tap handle for the games. I'm going to modify a pyramid curve ball handle. It has a baseball on top of it.

My portable kegerator has an invite to All the Holliday parties too.

My portable kegerator will go everywhere with me as if it were a second child. There will be a movie made about the love of one man and his portable kegerator inspired by the true life events of me.

Its been awhile but I finally obtained a couple of old 3 gal corny kegs to complete my portable kegerator as first described at the beginning of this thread. They are a tight fit but seeing there are no rubber skirts off to the side (but only on the bottom) they slide in really good. Here is a pic of the 2 kegs in the cooler (minus the hoses, disconnects, etc).

kegerator.JPG

Hope this helps someone in their build project!

Same here. Although I got a few more 3 gallon kegs, so I'm considering getting a nitrogen tank and having room temperature, red wine on tap.

Yay sea hawks! I used my portable kegerater for the first time during the game... Got to cheer the hawks on in Washington. This thing is so amazingly bad ass!

I just hope I can brew enough to keep the kegs full during all the events I plan on taking it to over the next year. Birth.days, barbecues, vacation, etc... Going to be a busy summer.

image_zps3a31753a.jpg

image_zps994e3118.jpg

I just hope I can brew enough to keep the kegs full during all the events I plan on taking it to over the next year. Birth.days, barbecues, vacation, etc... Going to be a busy summer.

That was my problem for a bit. Taking it to one tailgate a weekend was draining on my beer supply. I converted an old antique liquor cabinet into a second ferm chamber so that, if needed, I could have 3, 5 gallon, batches going at once.

Well apparently 3 gallon pin lock kegs don't fit in the max cold 70 qt on wheels. .. almost got my 2 stuck trying to fit them in

Cut parts of the lid's inside out and they'll most likely fit

So is everyone pretty much using 3 gal ball lock kegs for their builds? I'm getting ready to start on this project and want to do the 70qt Igloo with (2) 3 gal kegs in it and found a good deal on pin lock kegs but it appears since they are shaped differently than ball lock (slightly shorter and wider) they may not work without modifying/cutting the cooler.

This is my pin lock kegs (from adventures in homebrewing) and 2 will not fit. They were stuck for a half hour and the cooler started making cracking noises. If I cut off the black plastic will they? It doesn't seem like the plastic will make that much of a difference

1397317475929.jpg

I got a Coleman cooler from Lowes... It will fit the two pin locks but I converted to ball lock. Not sure if the pin lock posts would be too high....

That's the cooler I ended up needing to use. Ordered two ball lock kegs from Adventures in Homebrewing, didn't fit in the cube cooler I've had for several years.

This is my pin lock kegs (from adventures in homebrewing) and 2 will not fit. They were stuck for a half hour and the cooler started making cracking noises. If I cut off the black plastic will they? It doesn't seem like the plastic will make that much of a difference

I had the same question since I already have one of those pin locks from adventures in homebrewing and need to figure out if I should buy another one, or if I should just buy two other kegs for this build.

I have a cooler I can sacrifice, but also have a huge 100qt I can use without molesting. As little as I would use this, this might be my best option. We have a somewhat remote wedding to attend this Labor Day and I think this would be an easy way to serve a few kegs during the week at a cabin

034223114428lg.jpg

Wow... Check this out!

I just bought a huge lot of all grain and kegging gear off Craig's list. It literally came out of a barn in BFE Oregon.

Part of the lot was this really old and short pressure vessel. At first I thought it was about 3 gallons and I thought it was used for milking cows. But then I realize it looks identical to my 10 gallon corny keg except about half the height.

It has writing on it, "7-up Vancouver 67" it's a REALLY old soda keg with ball lock posts and a track lid. I filled a 5 gallon corny keg and dumped it into this one. It didn't even fill it. I think this thing can hold about 6 gallons.

And check it out. It fits the maxcold cooler like a freaking glove! The handles are taller than the rest, and they don't even stick past the opening of the cooler. Plus there's plenty of room for the co2.

image.jpg

It's dirty as hell, but it'll clean up. It's going to make a bad ass single tap kegerator.

Here was mine... A 10-gallon cooler for 3-gallon kegs. The before and after with the parts and assembled. This one has enough room for ice to keep it cold for a couple of days. I may do a 5-gallon cooler later that can hold a 2.5-gallon kegs for when I don't need a lot of ice to keep it cold for more than a few hours.

LGG_Portable_30.jpg

LGG_Portable_25.jpg

I'll see if I can find a picture (it's not at home right now). All I did was drill a hole just below the lid though. In order to take off the regulator I used quick disconnects (shown just to the right of the regulator in the parts picture).

Awesome build, y'all. I'd love to see how you have the CO2 run in, BungBrewing. You happen to have a pic?

Any idea how to keep cool when it's in my apartment? No room for a mini fridge in my apartment and ice doesn't seem to last as long as I thought?

that is amazing how much did you pay for each one?

:off:

Well I paid $1000 for all of those plus 2 of the same keg in 5 gallon size. But then I bought the rest of his 5 gallon kegs as well as a bunch of regulators and manifolds and y splitters (both primary and secondary) I think I paid $1450 for everything.

Then I resold a lot of it. I kept all the 5 gal and I still have 13 of the 3 gal and a few regulators/manifolds.

So bottom line is I made a bunch of money off it and still have a bunch of free gear.

I also split some of the dual primary regulators (turned them back into single) and made the other bodies into Portable regulators
IMG_1255_zps229616bd.jpg

image_zps0cdecee2.jpg

image_zps0a6e42fb.jpg

That's the cooler I ended up needing to use. Ordered two ball lock kegs from Adventures in Homebrewing, didn't fit in the cube cooler I've had for several years.

Just curious to hear from pedimac or brewmasterorr - I'm going to same exact route (3gal pin locks from AIH in that cooler) - what size CO2 tank fits? Thanks.

Back