Poppets and O-rings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I just scored four cornies in used condition, two of them were already holding pressure but I'd like to be sure they're all up to snuff before I waste a batch of beer on them.

First, do you all replace the poppet valves by default or only if you detect a leak?

I thought I saw a post that listed the SAE numbers for all the appropriate O-rings. I'm already ordering some stainless fittings from McMaster so I'd like to grab some bulk Orings too. Anyone know the numbers?

What exactly is keg lube? Silicone grease?

Defiantly replace the o-rings to get the soda smell out. Each keg needs the 5 o-rings and 2 poppet valves replaced to be truly "reconditioned". Poppet valves themselves are hit and miss but at least order 4 of them just in case. Often used ones that have been in storage tend to stick which can cause a beer geyser in the most unfortunate of times. Keg lube makes it easier and even frees sticking poppets. I'm not sure exactly what it is but it feels like silicon grease.

I don't know exactly what numbers you are looking for, but for my kegs, which are firestone, the ball-lock oring and poppets from austinhomebrew.com are the right fit. Any questions feel to PM me as I have recently gone through the process.

Do yourself a favor and get a system in place to mark your in and out posts and which go to which keg. I had a hell of a time figuring it out when they all got mixed up.

Seriously - don't mix them up.

http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=34669

usually, what i do and what i would recommend, is working on one keg at a time, and putting the liquid post on one side of the sink, and the gas on the other side of the sink. also, anothe way to tell is the gas post usually has nicks in the corners of the hex for the socket.

oh, and bulk O-Rings are nice. i wonder why i paid 3-5 dollars for a set now, when i got 12 lid, 200 post, and 200 dip tube o rings for around 30 dollars. haha.

Poppets: 7 years, 15 cornies, 0 replacements. Had one leaker, but it turned out to be just a bit of blackberry skin. I keep one handy anyway. Pricey little buggers, but not as bad as relief valves.

keg lube = Silicone grease

i now have around 25 usable kegs (i think 27 total), aquired through the last 1.25 years or so, and i've replaced some poppets. i'm sure some of these kegs that i have are pretty old though. i think it is inevitable to have to replace poppets. since i have a wide array of kegs (cornelius, firestone -both older and newer, ball and pin lock) i keep a lot of poppets on hand, mostly of different types just in case. i guess i'm a bit paranoid, but i just don't like being in a rush for things, which i would be if i needed to use a keg for something, and found out the poppet leaked and didn't have a replacement poppet.

Latest posts

Back