Poofy Smack Pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osoling

Reaction score
Hey all,

I bought a smack pack a while ago, and it has been in the fridge for a while now. The creation date is April 19, 2014. The pack has stayed in my refrigerator all this time, but has still expanded as if I smacked the pack.

Could I make a starter for it or should I just let it go? I don't mind making a starter, but I don't have a stir plate. It would be good to learn how to do it. I just don't want to waste $50 of grain when I should have just replaced a $6 yeast pack.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

You should be making starters for all but the really small beers. I would guess it is OK but even if it weren't inflated that yeast is getting old and the viability is down. Use a yeast pitching calculator to determine the viability and the size starter you should make.

Mrmalty.com is the standard, there are others.

So, when I make the starter, do I take the dry malt extract from my recipe? Meaning, if my recipe calls for 6 pounds of DME, and I want to make a starter, do I get the DME for the starter wort from this six pounds?

Also, MrMalty says I need three liters of starter. That, which probably right, seems like a LOT of liquid. I think I might have missed the window for this smack pack. Maybe back to the brew store is the best bet...

No. The starter needs it's own DME. The idea is that it ferments the "wort" you create for the starter, so trying to count that against your total will cause your beer to come in under the OG estimate.

OK. Thanks, guys and dolls. I get to support my local brew shop more!

I would use the pack you have. Make a 3 liter starter which is huge. Just use a gallon jug of water and shake if you don't have a stir plare. After a couple of days of shaking, put it in the fridge for 24 hours. Pour most of the liquid out and then get the yeast to room temp. Shake it around good and dump in your beer.

Back