POG vs Kveiking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonehenge360

Reaction score
Title says it all. I have had good success with Voss, but have heard great things about both POG and Kveiking in Neipas

There was a thread about POG specifically recently, but I am wondering if anyone has personally used both and which one they recommend.

Super old and three years late but I figured I'd add some input. I've used both to good results and honestly still LOVE using POG. Kept a culture going ever since it was released. POG works great in IPAs, especially Hazy IPAs.

According to Imperial themselves, it's an isolate of the Ebbegarden kveik yeast culture and matches up with everything I've heard about it. It does definitely exaggerate hop bitterness a smidge I've noticed, since it reportedly drops pH slightly more than most other kveik yeasts. But it works amazing with whirlpool hops and has always really helped the hops pop. According to Escarpment Labs, Ebbegarden's biotransformation is about on par with LAIII and most other NEIPA yeasts which is always good to know. This is all assuming that Escarpment and Imperial are selling the same (or same enough) version of the yeast.

As for Kveiking: I'm a big fan of it too and it probably helps that it most likely has POG included in the blend. They've hinted that it's just a blend of the three main cultures (Voss, Hornindal and Ebbegarden) that they carried while releasing it. That makes sense though, since I still get some of the same notes I typically pick up off of hazies made with POG. I think I've only ever used Kveiking in Hazies/NEIPAs but I've heard of but I remember tasting a fruitier blonde made with it as well. All around a good yeast and one I like using.

Kveiking is easier to find fresh so I've used it about the same amount as I have the POG culture I've been keeping but if I had to pick one, POG all the way. Ripe tropical fruit and candied citrus characters along with the biotransformation is nice. You'll still get that with kveiking, but along with the esters typically found in Voss & Hornindal as well.

Super old and three years late but I figured I'd add some input. I've used both to good results and honestly still LOVE using POG. Kept a culture going ever since it was released. POG works great in IPAs, especially Hazy IPAs.

Good info. I had never heard of POG, but I do have 2 packs of dried Ebbegarden from these guys that I need to put to use soon: K.9 Ebbegarden | Kveik Yeastery I have enjoyed many batches made with Voss, but sometimes the orange character can be a bit strong. A yeast with a more generic fruity, tropical or pineapple character sounds easier to work into a variety of hop combos.

Good info. I had never heard of POG, but I do have 2 packs of dried Ebbegarden from these guys that I need to put to use soon: K.9 Ebbegarden | Kveik Yeastery I have enjoyed many batches made with Voss, but sometimes the orange character can be a bit strong. A yeast with a more generic fruity, tropical or pineapple character sounds easier to work into a variety of hop combos.
It's honestly one of my favorite yeasts to work with so far and seems to just make any hazy ipa work - at least for me personally. I've been meaning to try out the dry Ebbegarden for a while but I've been having a heck of a time finding it in the USA. How were you able to get your hands on it? I've been able to order home-dried kveiks from a guy on etsy but a lot of them still include the bacteria which is a pass for me.

POG just seems to be a single strain kveik, what is special about it?

How were you able to get your hands on it?
My girlfriend was visiting family in Norway and picked up some packs at a shop in Trondheim. I think the 5g pack were a bit over $9 USD each.

I had a beer a friend made with Ebbegarden and it had a very nice fruity + pineapple character. The base beer was just a Saison recipe. He said it was Ebbegarden yeast passed on by a friend, so I am not sure the source. It seemed like a great yeast for a hoppy beer.

POG just seems to be a single strain kveik, what is special about it?

Personally I love it since it adds a lot of good fruity character that compliments hops in fruitier styles like Hazy IPAs. Plus, it's possible to use its infamous pH drop to an advantage, since it can brighten up hop character even after heavy dry-hopping raises the pH. Also can taste very saison-like when fermented on the low end - I've tried the liquid from some decanted room-temp starters and got something very belgian. So basically a very versatile yeast that works in two opposite ends of my homebrew repertoire.

fruity + pineapple character

Yup, definitely get that off of POG and it's worked pretty great with some hops like El Dorado before. Especially fermented in the 90's, you get a lot of great tropical fruit characters that just taste awesome.

I'll have to see if I can figure out how to get the dry Ebbegarden sometime. Might not be opposed to paying an arm and a leg from europe since it doesn't weigh much and it's dry yeast. I might get a pouch of the Escarpment Labs isolate sometime and maybe do a split batch to compare with my home culture. Probably when it cools down in the fall a little.

Back