Pocahontas pumpkin pleaser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corneykeg

Reaction score
I am making this brew and have about 3/4oz of williamette hops left over from another brew. It doesn't call for dry hopping it in the recipe, but I may consider it with these left over hops. Any thoughts? How would it change the beer?

As you may already know (and I am sorry if you do), dry hoping is going to give you more hop aroma in your final product. I love hops so dry hopping has changed my life! Typical dry hopping doses call for 1-2 oz of hops depending on what you are going for. So, 3/4 oz seems almost perfect to me for a pumpkin ale. I personally would not want my hops to overpower the pumpkin taste given it is a special beer for a special time of year.

Willamette works well for American-style ales and even lagers. It seems pretty popular so I would imagine you will not end up with something totally horrible at all.

Do not just take my word for it; weigh the options above and the facts you already know and make a decision that works for your preferences. That way the outcome is a NEW beer that is your very own... that you made! That is something (good or not-so-good) you can and should be proud of.

Let me know how it turns out- and good luck!

-Ritalin

Thx for the info, which was some was new. I too wonder if that amount would overpower the smell.

I would honestly say that it depends on how long you plan to dry hop (duration). I will defer to my colleagues on this post for further information, but I think it's safe to say that you are using a hop variety that is pretty familiar in a quantity that is pretty safe

I say go for it. Sorry for the disconnect in the last post, I'm getting used to my new iPad. SWMBO says, "Also my wife left me brew and She is pretty awesome."

I'd save them for a different brew. Dry hopping a pumpkin beer is a bit like putting hot sauce on a pumpkin pie. I like hot sauce. I like pumpkin pie. But I don't think they mix. Pumpkin ales are malty, spiced specialty beers. Even if you disagree with what I just wrote, why cover up the pumpkin/spice character you tried so hard to achieve?

Latest posts

Back