Pluot Beer????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landhoney

Reaction score
Not sure I'd have tried this if Mike T hadn't put the idea in my head, I knew Russian River had/s a pluot beer so maybe I'd have tried it anyway(mad props to Mike again though). My plan was, and still is maybe, to use plums in a plambic but I decided to add some pluots to my blackberry sour quad. So now it's kind of a mixed fruit beer.
After listening to the Sunday Session about sour beers, if you can make it through it there is some usable info in there, I decided I wanted to add some more fruit to this beer and I decided on pluots. Not sure of the exact weight, but I added 5 large sliced pluots to ~4.5 gallons of beer that had ~2-3lbs of blackberries already added. My plan is to eventually add some more fruit if I think it needs it.

Anybody had RR's pluot beer? Any experience with plum or pluot beer? Sound awful?

I had Russian River's Pluot beer the last time I drove through there about a month or so ago. It was very good. Quite sour and acidic yet I didn't get a very pronounced fruit flavor IIRC. I 'll be driving through again next week. If they still have it available, I'll try it again to refresh my memory and post my thoughts at that time.

Yeah the pluot flavor in RR's beer was not very pronounced. It was an excellent beer, nice sour tartness, with another flavor I wasn't expecting at all, but then again having never tasted a pluot I'm not quite sure what I was expecting. But your mixed berry quad is already sounding delicious!

My pluot tree is in full bloom! May have to try using some in beer.

Makes incredible barbeque sauce, though!

Eric

Any update on how yours is tasting Seth? What kind did you use?

I exchanged a few emails with Vinnie recently and the gist of it was that they use a pretty small amount (.5-1 lbs/gallon) and that the higher the proportion of apricot the more sourness you will get. I have ~2 lbs that I quartered/pitted/froze a few weeks ago that will be going into 2.5 gallons of my blended Flanders Pale, Vinnie suggested 12 months on the fruit… so it will be awhile before I know how it turns out. Mine look like the Dapple Dandy shown here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluot

Latest posts

Back