Plumbers tape on bottling bucket spigot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildernessBrewing

Reaction score
Just bottled a brew last week and had a slight trickle at the spigot of the bottling bucket. I'm thinking that a good solution would be to wrap the threads and inside of the nut with plumber's tape, but I'm wondering if this would cause any issues. I can't imagine it would be enough to cause any off flavors. Obviously I would replace the tape between bottling after cleaning and sanitizing the bucket/spigot, or it could be a source of infection. I'm sure I'm over thinking this.

I've done this quite frequently. No problems thus far. As long as you change it out after every use.

It would be worth trying. Changing the tape between uses would negate any contamination issues.

I had cracked the flange on a spigot trying to get it tight. Solution, for me, was to use two soft washers, one inside and one on the outside the bottling bucket.

Yeah that's not a bad idea. Already have two soft washers sandwiching the drilled hole, but replacing with some foam washers might also be a good solution

Plumber's teflon tape would work in the hole the tap goes in were tight enough to where the lug on the spigot had to be threaded in. I have a better solution that works great on all my buckets with the red/white Italian spigot. Go to home depot or lowe's & find this brown rubber sheet on the endcap of the isle where the tubing is. Trace one of the spigot washers on it & cut it out with a razor knife, as in the first pic;

Then when the spigot is cleaned, rinsed & sanitized, along with all the parts, Assemble it to the bucket with the "new" washer going on first. Then the spigot washer & lock lug. you'll now notice that the spigot doesn't have to be tightened so much to get a good seal...

You're welcome. It's still working great about a year later. I just clean & sanitize it along with everything else. :mug:

Latest posts

Back