Pliny the Elder Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
I am the only beer drinker in the house so a 5 gallon batch lasts me a few months ...

I have brewed a Pliny clone several times now with a recipe that has ~5 ounces of dry hops staggered 7 + 5 days. While Pliny is intended to be consumed fresh, it's just not possible given my situation.

Since it takes me a while to finish the batch, I've been thinking about dry hopping for 7 days then the other 5 when the keg is half consumed. My thought process being that the second later dry hop will provide aroma/flavor that may perhaps have been lost as the beer aged.

The issue however, is that the second dose is intended for 5 gallons, not 2.5 or less and I am wondering if the beer will be lacking flavor and aroma by going only with the first addition in the beginning.

So if you were me ... would you follow the recipe and load-up on dry hops as the recipe intends or try something new.

Will a 5 ounce dry hop dose have significantly more flavor & aroma than 2.5 ounces?

Your thoughts?

I would follow the recipe and do both dry hops up front, then do another if the flavor fades with time, scaled to how much you have left in the keg at that point. IME, yes 5 oz will give much more flavor and aroma than 2.5.

Back