Pliny the Elder - Delivered to Your Door

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalgayer

Reaction score
All -

With all the talk about Pliny the Elder, I wanted to pass along something...
Just found a site that has bottles for $4.30 for a 500ml bottle. No idea if that is good - but I know that for good beer in a 500ml bottle that seems reasonable to me - so I took all they had (four) and the one blind pig that they had.

That is $21 for four bottles and I was worried about the shipping - but it was only $13 which isnt great but isnt terrible I guess. They get it in and it goes right out...

He also said the more you order to more you save on shipping. For example I paid basically $2.50/bottle and he said if you get more it goes down to like $1.50/bottle.

CLIFF NOTES: With shipping just got 4 bottles of Pliny the Elder for $28. Not sure if this is a good deal - and not sure if this is the forum to post, or if I am even allowed to post the website so I didnt for now.

Guys -

Only reason for no link is I wasnt sure if I was violating any of the vendor rules or whatever. Depending on your state, it may say "no delivery - law" or something like that. I just called them and it was no problem. Dude says they get it in and its out the door.

My basic thoughts were - if I went if to a bar and saw Pliny for basically $7/bottle - I am buying it - so I did. Ebay has them for generally $18-$22 per bottle when all shipping etc is factored in.

Here is the link - Again, I just bought the last 4 PTE and the only Blind Pig they had - but he said they have more coming soon as they are right there in CA.

Pliny for ~$6-$7/bottle

Again, they are out now, but he said they are getting shipments regularly and often.

Again, sorry for the "no linky" at first... I am new and didnt want to post out of line.
He said it fed ex's out tomorrow - and just called me back to say that someone grabbed the last Blind Pig while he was taking my order so I am subbing a couple of Stone's Levitation which I have never had.

I'd say $6-$7 is pretty good for the East Coast. I'd be a little worried about the legality of the shipping, particularly in PA. Most of the places that will ship a beer to you do so through distributors in your state. I think PA has some tough restrictions about approved vendors and brands. At least I recall reading something like that recently. I'm guessing you will be fine, especially since we are talking about a pretty low number of bottles, but the stories about the alcohol enforcers seemed to paint them as the gestapo.

jalgayer -- How did you get them to ship to you? PA is not listed as one of the states that they can legally ship to.

It costs $4.50 for a 16oz. bottle at the brewery. That price on the website is good if you can't get access to it, but who knows if it is fresh or not. I have a case (24 bottles) I'm working through that was bought straight at the brewery and was in bottled 2 days before I started drinking. The first week it was amazing, but the hop aroma/flavor has steadily been dropping since (its been about 3 weeks now).

It costs $4.50 for a 16oz. bottle at the brewery. That price on the website is good if you can't get access to it, but who knows if it is fresh or not. I have a case (24 bottles) I'm working through that was bought straight at the brewery and was in bottled 2 days before I started drinking. The first week it was amazing, but the hop aroma/flavor has steadily been dropping since (its been about 3 weeks now).

Anyone possessing the bottle knows if it is fresh. It's kinda hard to buy stale Pliny the Elder since most places that sell it sell out within a few days of receiving stock.

For what its worth - about 1 hour after I got off the phone I got an email from fedex that it was picked up and is on the way. Additionally, the guy said they get it in a couple times a week and it blows out quick.

I guess you never can be sure if its fresh, but I feel decent about the purchase.

The main reason I even posted wasnt so much about price etc. It was because in my short time here it seems like there is a couple of threads a week regarding SOMETHING about Pliny and I thought it would help some people out.

Yeah. If you ever want to order again, look at South Bay Drugs and Liquor. They do a ton of shipping and are a great store, and you will likely get some super fresh pliny from them. Joey will let you know the dates on the bottles if you ask him.

Trip Report:

Order: Thursday Night at 6pm
Email from Fedex that they picked it up: 7:17pm
Arrived in PA: Monday at noon
Pliny "Bottle On" Date: March 26, 2010 (19 days ago)
Taste: Priceless

I didn't know those sites existed. I was under the impression that you have to at least tell your age before you buy. Underage kids could buy booze from that site.

The price is the same as I pay at the store for the beer. Just got 5 bottles yesterday night bottled on 5/12. Gotta love it. :)

As for being stale, most stores sell through their stock fast enough that they have a hard time keeping it in stock, so I doubt you'd have to worry about it not being fresh.

Cool website, the store isn't that far from me so the selection is comparable to what I can get at my local beer store :)

I didn't know those sites existed. I was under the impression that you have to at least tell your age before you buy. Underage kids could buy booze from that site.

As an underage kid, you could: Steal a credit card, call a website, have beer shipped, hope mom and dad don't see it, and now enjoy your expensive craft beer you bought on the internet...

OR have your older brother/friend buy it for you and/or rely on the lax liquor store down the corner, get a lot of beer for your limited money and get drunk with your underage friends

Something tells me underage kids ordering $5 bottles of beer + shipping over the internet is not an epidemic.

I curse you for making me purchase a case! :mug:

I made JZ's hop hammer pliny clone last year without ever tasting the real thing so this will be a treat to sample them side by side even though I believe JZ's was way more hoppier from what I read when I brewed it so we shall see.

Yet again, Pennsylvania's backward a$$ liquor laws foil me from enjoying a delicious beer. Can't ship to PA as it's against state law apparently :mad:

edit: Jalgayer, how did you get it shipped to PA??? When I put in my shipping info it gives me an error and says 'unable to ship state - legal restrictions, please call store." Am I missing something?

Yet again, Pennsylvania's backward a$$ liquor laws foil me from enjoying a delicious beer. Can't ship to PA as it's against state law apparently :mad:

edit: Jalgayer, how did you get it shipped to PA??? When I put in my shipping info it gives me an error and says 'unable to ship state - legal restrictions, please call store." Am I missing something?

Yep. Call the store directly. That is what I did. When I tried to order online I got the same error. Call em.

As far as I know you have to sign when it gets there. But, if this site is breaking the shipping laws into a state, they are probably not requiring Fed Ex to get an Adult's sig.

There are places that will ship to states that do not permit beer/wine/liquor shipments on the sly if you contact them and inquire.....chatting about it on the internet, in plain view, is not the best thing to do if you want it to continue.

It costs $4.50 for a 16oz. bottle at the brewery.

Putting on my pedantic pants, that's a 16.9oz bottle. Some shrewd customers have observed that, outside of happy hour (if you don't have an AHA card:)), the bottled Pliny is the same price as draft and the bottle in theory yields you an extra 0.9oz of the boozy gassy hop tea.

Let me just say that bottled Pliny, in my experience, is kinda sorry compared to the stuff straight off the SV.:(

Huh? Not sure if you are saying that I am tricking people into trying to order. I really have no idea what you are getting at.

I think you misunderstood me. I was simply unaware that one could order alcohol online like this. Call me old-school, but I just didn't know that you could do that. I was simply stating the obvious flaws with the system not with anything you've done.

Let me just say that bottled Pliny, in my experience, is kinda sorry compared to the stuff straight off the SV.:(

Some of us don't have that option, so we'll have to suffer through the bottled variety.

To affirm, yes, FedEx requires the signature of adult 21 or over to collect the package - as I just signed for mine!!!

Back