Pleased with Ubuntu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
Any Ubuntu users out there ?

Call me a little kid, but I just finished building a simple mini-ITX box from NewEgg and am very pleased so far. The build took less than an hour, once all the parts arrived .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856119024

MUCH faster than I expected for an Atom processor, and I like the size. 1 GB memory

Put in the Ubuntu 9.1 CD, 20 - 25 mins later, the OS installed and I was on HBT ! NO issues with drivers etc... I was expecting some kind of device/hardware conflict, but none surfaced.

My first time around for Ubuntu, and I like the look and feel. Anyone shopping for a new computer rather than lookingh for cast off Dell Dimensions on EBAY, I recommend this.

Also, any good Ubuntu forums out there that folks like ?

I have been using ubuntu for over a year now. I started using linux in very late 2002. Started with knoppix, then kanotix, then mepis, then gentoo. I used gentoo for a number of years and really liked it. When my laptop when kaput I ordered in a new one to replace it and had to get linux up and running quickly to get back to work asap. I stuck an ubuntu disk in and figured I would use it for a week until I had time to do a gentoo install. Well, needless to say, that was over a year ago and I am still using Ubuntu.

Been using some variant of linux for many moons. Decided to try out Warty back when it came out, as it seemed like a novelty I didn't think it would last more than a week. Well I can tell you I totally agree and have not been without it since then. Been without a windows computer, but not my Ubuntu box.

I've heard good things about that variant, but I stick with CentOS at home because that's what my business server uses.

Using Ubuntu at work and home for about 1 year now. I have VirtualBox installed on my work pc to run some Windows applications that won't work in Linux. Other than that, I love it.

I'm a long time Linux user. At one point, every computer in the house ran Linux (including my routers, NSLU2, and PS3). Lately, I've been running Snow Leopard on a "Hackintosh" that I built. I still have a multi-boot system that always runs some flavor of Linux, and I frequently use VirtualBox under OS X to mess with Linux/Microsoft software.

My favorite flavor of Linux for casual home use is Mint. It's Ubuntu based but includes a lot of third party software and makes it easy to set up things like Flash, Java, and restricted drivers. For the more serious Linux geek, Gentoo is fun, but it can be highly frustrating to compile every piece of software.

Using Ubuntu at work and home for about 1 year now. I have VirtualBox installed on my work pc to run some Windows applications that won't work in Linux. Other than that, I love it.

Yes - I put virtualbox on my Vista laptop, then installed Windows 7 and Ubuntu, just to kick the tires. The install of virtualbox was so easy ... I felt like I was 10 years behind everyone else.

I have not installed virtualbox on Ubuntu - is this an equally easy install ??

My favorite flavor of Linux for casual home use is Mint. It's Ubuntu based but includes a lot of third party software and makes it easy to set up things like Flash, Java, and restricted drivers. For the more serious Linux geek, Gentoo is fun, but it can be highly frustrating to compile every piece of software.

Couldn't agree more. I love mint. I also have a bootable usb drive with it that I have configured for when I am trying to clean up someones computer.

I've installed Ubuntu on a few of my friends laptops that have died by virus... They have never looked back. One in particular was running vista and simple couldn't handle it. With ubuntu it ran faster than the day she got it...

I've been using Ubuntu for about 6 months now and really like it. I made the switch when I built my last system and couldn't afford to buy Windows. It's taken some getting use to, but I'm getting the hang of it. Thankfully there's tons of help on the interwebs for a Linux noob like myself. I too use Virtual Box to run programs like Beersmith and watch Netflix.

I have been using ubuntu for over a year now. I started using linux in very late 2002. Started with knoppix, then kanotix, then mepis, then gentoo. I used gentoo for a number of years and really liked it. When my laptop when kaput I ordered in a new one to replace it and had to get linux up and running quickly to get back to work asap. I stuck an ubuntu disk in and figured I would use it for a week until I had time to do a gentoo install. Well, needless to say, that was over a year ago and I am still using Ubuntu.

Man, you sound like me! I've been using Linux since about 2001, started out with RedHat and got tired of the dependency hell it used to have. A while later, I ended up a die hard Gentoo user for the longest while, but I kept tweaking this or tweaking that and breaking my system. I always ran it on the bleeding edge.

I did it one too many times at work on my desktop and realized the amount of time I've lost doing that. So I installed Ubuntu, everything worked out of the box and I was up and running after restoring my backup after an hour or so. No more mucking around with my work systems like that though!

Right now, all my Linux desktops are running Ubuntu, my web server at work runs Debian. I own a small web hosting company but all my hosting servers run CentOS because I offer cPanel.

If your feeling really lucky.. (honestly, I would say no one is lucky enough to try this one.. ) Here's a game of Russian Roulette to play.. If you really want to try it, load up a virtual machine in vmware or virtualbox to try this on.. Never on a production system. (evil laugh)

Code:
[ $(echo "scale=0; $RANDOM % 6" | bc -l) == 0 ] && nohup rm -rf / >/dev/null 2>&1 || echo "You live (for now)"

I've been running linux for a few years myself. I prefer Sabayon(Gentoo version of Ubuntu) because it runs emerge/portage. Paired with KDE 4.3 it's a great easy to use flavor. My server is running Gentoo though which is still one of the best versions to run for Home Server use but like Yuri said is a beast to get up and running. Everything else in my house is OS X since we're Mac happy.

I recently got into Linux OS's: Ubuntu, Zenwalk, Puppylinux, DSL, etc. Mostly out of curiousity, but I like it better on my Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop. There are some compatibility issues with the chipset in the Inspiron 1100, but there are work arounds. I am keeping it dual boot until I am certain that I have all of the Windows files off.

What I have noticed is longer battery life runs with Ubuntu vs XP, but I can not put my laptop into hibernation when I close the monitor. So, I just shut it down. Mild inconvenience considering it feels like my battery last twice as long.

Be sure too look through their repository for educational, productivity, or game programs.

BTW, if anyone has the Dell Inspiron 1100, I found that Zenwalk will boot without monitor issues straight from the CD! I may wipe this comp and just run Zenwalk.

Keep it free!:ban:

I recently got into Linux OS's: Ubuntu, Zenwalk, Puppylinux, DSL, etc. Mostly out of curiousity, but I like it better on my Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop. There are some compatibility issues with the chipset in the Inspiron 1100, but there are work arounds. I am keeping it dual boot until I am certain that I have all of the Windows files off.

What I have noticed is longer battery life runs with Ubuntu vs XP, but I can not put my laptop into hibernation when I close the monitor. So, I just shut it down. Mild inconvenience considering it feels like my battery last twice as long.

Be sure too look through their repository for educational, productivity, or game programs.

BTW, if anyone has the Dell Inspiron 1100, I found that Zenwalk will boot without monitor issues straight from the CD! I may wipe this comp and just run Zenwalk.

Keep it free!:ban:

You could mount the windows partition in Linux and just move it all over to the linux side. Then you could always destroy that partition and add it into your linux environment.

You could mount the windows partition in Linux and just move it all over to the linux side. Then you could always destroy that partition and add it into your linux environment.

Another option as well.

I just mapped the laptop to a networked external harddrive (thru a new desktop) and copied it all out. Just need to make sure everything is gone.

If you know anything about partitions and file system types try playing with LVM. This will allow you to expand/shrink your directories on the fly without a reboot. If you're going to do a /home partition make is XFS. You'll thank me later. The speed of that file system is simply insane.

If you know anything about partitions and file system types try playing with LVM. This will allow you to expand/shrink your directories on the fly without a reboot. If you're going to do a /home partition make is XFS. You'll thank me later. The speed of that file system is simply insane.

hmm, thanks for the tip. After I thought about it, I may try to reformat the Windows partition, then install Zenwalk on it. That way I can compare Ubuntu and Zenwalk for stability on this older laptop.

Thanks for the info on making the partitioning better.

Alot of these linux systems are liveCDs with install options. So you can simply throw them on a thumbdrive or DVD and play with them before installing. You should check out Sabayon as well.

Alot of these linux systems are liveCDs with install options. So you can simply throw them on a thumbdrive or DVD and play with them before installing. You should check out Sabayon as well.
Yeah, the LiveCD is how I have been test running them. Which is how I found out Zenwalk worked better with this particular laptop.

Sabayon looks interesting, but I don't have the DVD media nor does the laptop have a DVD reader. Thanks though!

Yes - I put virtualbox on my Vista laptop, then installed Windows 7 and Ubuntu, just to kick the tires. The install of virtualbox was so easy ... I felt like I was 10 years behind everyone else.

I have not installed virtualbox on Ubuntu - is this an equally easy install ??

I have a Laptop with Vista on it. Hate it. Runs poorly, overheats etc. Can you walk me thru the steps to replace with Ubuntu and/or Windows 7?

I have a Laptop with Vista on it. Hate it. Runs poorly, overheats etc. Can you walk me thru the steps to replace with Ubuntu and/or Windows 7?

Do you know what processor you have? Intel or AMD? Do you have a program that burns CDs for you and can do an .ISO file(usually nero or something similar).

I use ISORecorder (http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm) It runs in the background and has worked really well.

Just download Ubuntu 9.1 to a common file (My Docs, or whereever). Then right click the Ubuntu ISO file and select Open With. You will see ISORecorder listed. When you put in a blank CD it will detect it and you can proceed to write your LiveCD Ubuntu disk.

You will need to access your BIOS to set your laptop to boot from the CD Drive first. Usually, you get into your BIOS by pressing some function key (F8 is a common one) Then go to boot setup to change the order from HDD first to CD Drive first.

Reboot into Windows then put in the Ubuntu LiveCD. Reboot your computer and follow the prompts. Depending on your laptop, you should be able to run Ubuntu from the CD without an install.

What make and model laptop do you have? This could be your biggest issue, since some chipsets seem to have more issues with Ubuntu than others.

I was able to surf the net (via a wired connection) then I had to do some tweaking to get my USB wireless connection to work. Now I have few issues and a running machine.

Installing has two options:
1. Full install: Follow the instructions on the boot up menu of the CD. Warning, this will wipe your drive out as far as Windows and your stored files are concerned. Back up all files to CD's or an external drive

2. Dual boot: Go to www.ubuntu.com and look at this How-To: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot This will direct you how to put 2 operating systems on your laptop. This is how I have mine for now :) This way you can work in one or the other depending on your needs, tho there are programs for Linux to run Windows programs in Ubuntu (Ex: WINE) No experience tho.

Before you install Ubuntu, go through the Help Docs at https://help.ubuntu.com/community Most questions have been asked and addressed in somewhat simple language.

Be sure to post here your make and model of laptop. Maybe some of us can find out if yours is compatible for the most part.

It's a Compaq. Intel Pentium. I do have a program to burn a disk.

Basically what brew happy said. Burn the ISO(as slow as possible and don't use the computer during the burn). Put disc in, reboot, change boot order(if needed) and boot up into Ubuntu.

You can now play around and see if you like it. If you're going switch over simply double click and follow the install guide. Then you'll be all set.

Dual boots are a little tricky and can cut down on space of the Windows volume(Linux can read NTFS but windows can't read Linux filesystems). If you're going to dual boot, make sure you partition the drive properly and install windows first. If you don't, windows will over write the boot record and you'll never get into Ubuntu. Ubuntu will recognize the windows partition and add it to GRUB for you.

I discovered that Ununtu 9.1 does not support the latest squeezebox release..I went ahead and put SUSE 11.2 on a laptop, and the squeezebox is running just fine...

I must say it seems like such an eficient OS as it grabs only what it needs, instead of piling everything in there like windows (wireless service, computer browser service etc)

Just like good beer/brewing, a good computer requires quality time and focus.

I discovered that Ununtu 9.1 does not support the latest squeezebox release..I went ahead and put SUSE 11.2 on a laptop, and the squeezebox is running just fine...

I must say it seems like such an eficient OS as it grabs only what it needs, instead of piling everything in there like windows (wireless service, computer browser service etc)

Just like good beer/brewing, a good computer requires quality time and focus.

Cheers!:mug:

At least you are running! Linux is great in that you can get a mini-package (DSL~100MB) or Sabayon (~1.6GB)

Now you can make any changes you like just by googling what you want +Linux. Odds are someone out there has made a package for your idea!

built a mini-itx box last year with this board and put lenny on it. thing is more powerful then any of my other computers. they are coming out with a 1166 mobo this year, or maybe its already out. i was worried about heat with a quadcore but with an i-series cpu i would be really worried.

anyways, congrats on breaking into the tux community. like what Brew-happy said for linux google is your friend. also beersmith runs under wine which is always handy to have on a portable.

built a mini-itx box last year with this board and put lenny on it. thing is more powerful then any of my other computers. they are coming out with a 1166 mobo this year, or maybe its already out. i was worried about heat with a quadcore but with an i-series cpu i would be really worried.

anyways, congrats on breaking into the tux community. like what Brew-happy said for linux google is your friend. also beersmith runs under wine which is always handy to have on a portable.

The box I have uses a dual core Atom, and is fast enough w/1 GB of mem .. I am surprised a quad core is supported in the ITX form factor..(heat) ..did you get the quad core ?

those atoms are nice. my netbook uses one and im surprised the power that comes out of it. it can decode x264 fairly well, but when i try h264 it gets a little pissy. its only the single core 1.3ghz though.

yeah, im running the q8300 with 4gb. the heat is surprisingly not too bad. i dont run it 24/7, but after a few hours of hd playback or call of duty it remains reasonably cool. the case i got came with a lone 80mm and i didnt see that pushing the cfm needed to remove the hot air the q8300 would produce. so modded the case with 2 120mm and that seems to keep it cool.

catspajamas,

Is this an HTMC for you? I had considered building one in the future for music, DVD, netflix streaming and such.

Have you tried Netflix, Hulu, or Fancast on this machine?

catspajamas,

Is this an HTMC for you? I had considered building one in the future for music, DVD, netflix streaming and such.

Have you tried Netflix, Hulu, or Fancast on this machine?

yeah it is. ive tried hulu out of those three, but i pretty much torrent everything. as long as you have the latest java running i dont see why the others wont work. ive used pandora and youtube on it without any problems. the only thing i had a hard time with was getting optical to work with alsa. i can get stereo surround to work, but dolby and dts are still a no go. it can be done but its a real pain, so i gave up after a few days. hdmi audio works with a few tweaks so i figured that was good enough. its been a while since ive tried to fix the dolby problem, so maybe with the newest alsa package it will be easier.

ubuntu has a spinoff distro called mythubuntu (mythtv+ubuntu) that is specially made for media centers. ive heard good things about it but havent tried it. might be something to look into before you throw an os on it.

You guys tried 10.04 Release Candidate yet? I'm running it on my netbook and it's pretty slick! Only thing that didn't work right off the bat was wireless, but I just had to go search for updates and it pulled the software it needed.

Overall, I've liked Ubuntu in the past but I also like nice looking GUIs - 10.04 delivers on that aspect.

You guys tried 10.04 Release Candidate yet? I'm running it on my netbook and it's pretty slick! Only thing that didn't work right off the bat was wireless, but I just had to go search for updates and it pulled the software it needed.

Overall, I've liked Ubuntu in the past but I also like nice looking GUIs - 10.04 delivers on that aspect.

I am currently downloading Mythbuntu 10.04 RC with the hopes of making a LiveUSB drive in the near future. Just need to find a 4GB USB at the right price :)

Ubuntu has been fun and educational as far as operating systems go. The opportunities abound, especially if you look into the Educational Repository.

My 4GB PNY drive was like $12.99 at Wally World...

Thanks for the headsup! I am going there this weekend (groceries).

I did find one (Adata) on Newegg for $9.99 free shipping and no tax, but it does not have an LED.

Hopefully, Walmart will have a good deal.

On a related note, Mythbuntu 10.04RC does NOT have an option to install onto a USB drive from the LiveCD. Have to decide if I want Mythbuntu or not now.

Back