Pleased with Ubuntu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah, I'm not surprised Newegg has something cheaper ... but then you gotta wait for it to arrive. ;)

I really want to spend some time tonight digging into desktop customization with this too. I really like some of the OSX style docks that people have done for Linux distros & although I do like the interface for Ubuntu Netbook Remix, I see myself getting tired of it in the future.

I will say this, I know my way around OSX fairly well and I can fly any version of Windows blind - but Linux kind of makes me feel retarded when it comes to installing applications and stuff. Can anyone recommend some good books?

I really want to spend some time tonight digging into desktop customization with this too. I really like some of the OSX style docks that people have done for Linux distros & although I do like the interface for Ubuntu Netbook Remix, I see myself getting tired of it in the future.

I will say this, I know my way around OSX fairly well and I can fly any version of Windows blind - but Linux kind of makes me feel retarded when it comes to installing applications and stuff. Can anyone recommend some good books?

When I first started I used this book: http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/download_main.html

installing apps is as simple as using the package manager for your particular distro. Ubuntu uses apt-get(if I remember correctly), Fedora uses yum, Gentoo/Sabayon uses Portages/Emerge(my favorite). Simply google your package manager and it'll show you everything you need to know. Most installs come with just about everything though so you shouldn't be lagging.

btw...if you really know OSX you should feel right at home with the shell of any linux distro as OSX is built off of BSD and can run most *nix apps it should be familiar.

@burgs, if youre on ubuntu/debian and want to see if there is an app out there just: aptitude search [whatever], it will give you a list of what is out there from the sites in youre sources.list file. and if one tickles your fancy just apt-get install [package]. like arch1tect said, fedora/rh instead of aptitude search just do yum search [package] and yum install [package] to install. ex. if you are looking for a flash plugin or something, just aptitude search adobe and youll get a list of packages that have the word adobe in it. i think if you do quotes around the search word you can do multiple, like "adobe flash plugin"

i dumped that remix on my eee so fast its not even funny. try out eeebuntu, its a little heavier then remix distros, but its worth it.

installing apps is as simple as using the package manager for your particular distro. Ubuntu uses apt-get(if I remember correctly), Fedora uses yum, Gentoo/Sabayon uses Portages/Emerge(my favorite). Simply google your package manager and it'll show you everything you need to know. Most installs come with just about everything though so you shouldn't be lagging.

btw...if you really know OSX you should feel right at home with the shell of any linux distro as OSX is built off of BSD and can run most *nix apps it should be familiar.

Well, I only had a Mac for a short amount of time - not really long enough to have had dug through Terminal much. I will definitely spend some time checking out the package manager. Thanks Austin_ for the link as well.

:mug:

Well, I'm breaking things - so that means the learning process is underway. Had the netbook to the point last night where I definitely removed some packages I shouldn't have. The entire display was blinking on and off and the GUI was pretty much freaking out in general.

I installed the LTR version that came out yesterday - desktop version instead of Netbook Edition this time, and I definitely prefer it without the app launcher. Now, to spend some time with that big ass PDF manual!

well 10.04RC was a success on m Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop. Which is great as there were major issues with version 9.1 on supporting the video chipset with this particular model.

Now, I need to decide the purpose for this laptop and hit the repository:rockin:

My sister gave me her Dell Inspron Mini10 with a blue screen of death, no power adapter or restore disks..she was fed up with it.

Pleased to say that puppy is a screamin' Ubuntu 10.04 machine...the only challenge was the wireless (broadcom) but used NDISwrapper to get it working..

I use it to capture Internet streams using streamripper..very solid little box

Have been listening to GoingLinux podcast ( www.goinglinux.com ) - highly recommended..

Back