Please help me find the perfect light ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shakybones

Reaction score
Here's the situation - I've gone all grain. I've built a 2-Corny kegerator. I've mastered (to my satisfaction) a great IPA recipe (my favorite type of beer). I love drinking my beer. However, my beer has the tendency to get me intoxicated beyond my intention. :tank:

I would like to brew a superior session ale (I can maintain <70F, but I can't yet do lagering temps). I'd like something relatively light, but with a bitterness ratio slightly on the hoppy side - and of course, the full range of flavor and aroma. Do any of you masters of malt have fantastic recipe suggestions for me?

I currently have Munich, Vienna, Crystal 40-L, and Victory malts, and Cascade, Simcoe, Magnum, and Centennial hops on the shelf, but could be persuaded to venture beyond my comfort zone for the right recipe.

Thanks in advance!

Why not try scaling down your current IPA recipe to a lower ABV?

Then have a session IPA which you already know you like.

Why not try scaling down your current IPA recipe to a lower ABV?

Then have a session IPA which you already know you like.

I did this accidentally once (too much sparge H2O). It worked out well, but I was hoping to broaden my horizons a bit.

I have done BYO's most recent version (a few issues ago) of Sierra Nevada's classic pale and it has turned out great. Dry hop the heck out of it and you would have something nice and hoppy but lower ABV.

A hoppy wheat ale maybe? I would recommend https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f67/reapers-mild-1st-place-2011-hbt-competition-239228/ this mild as a great session brew. It won't have the bitterness you are looking for, but youmight find you love a mild. You can have 4-5 and not be passed out on the floor by 8

I have done BYO's most recent version (a few issues ago) of Sierra Nevada's classic pale and it has turned out great. Dry hop the heck out of it and you would have something nice and hoppy but lower ABV.

A hoppy wheat ale maybe? I would recommend https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f67/reapers-mild-1st-place-2011-hbt-competition-239228/ this mild as a great session brew. It won't have the bitterness you are looking for, but youmight find you love a mild. You can have 4-5 and not be passed out on the floor by 8

I have a special place in my heart for SN, so I may try that. I have never sampled a wheat beer that I actually enjoyed. I don't usually do darker brews and I have been in more of a west coast (non-UK, certainly) mindset in my brewing. I've definitely fallen for US-05. Still, Reaper's Mild is intriguing. Thanks for your suggestion!

So I saw this thread right after leaving the mans library where I was reading this months Zymurgy. Go look at Drew Beechams article and recipes (page 40) on Session IPa's.

How about a SMASH?

Depending on the gravity you seek and your efficiency, take about 11-12lbs of Vienna, a hop of your choice and brew a simple light ale.

I'm currently drinking/sharing a Vienna(12lbs)/Amarillo(1oz @60) SMASH fermented with Nottingham (started at 57*F, finished at 66*F). That "Viarillo" turned out yummy and gets lots of compliments.

So I saw this thread right after leaving the mans library where I was reading this months Zymurgy. Go look at Drew Beechams article and recipes (page 40) on Session IPa's.

I know you're not seriously suggesting that I spend money on reading materials. I'm a cheap bastard (just ask my wife). If I was going to spend money on beer-related reading, it would be to support HBT - which I intend to do at some point soon...really!

Sounds right down my alley, though, so thanks for the suggestion. The watered-down IPA I mentioned earlier got really great reviews from my friends (who can't be trusted, as they just want more beer...).

How about a SMASH?

Depending on the gravity you seek and your efficiency, take about 11-12lbs of Vienna, a hop of your choice and brew a simple light ale.

I'm currently drinking/sharing a Vienna(12lbs)/Amarillo(1oz @60) SMASH fermented with Nottingham (started at 57*F, finished at 66*F). That "Viarillo" turned out yummy and gets lots of compliments.

Vienna is just an adjunct for me at this point. Going "all-in" is a bit scary for me. How would you describe the results (besides "yummy", no offense...)? No flavor or aroma hops?

Vienna is just an adjunct for me at this point. Going "all-in" is a bit scary for me. How would you describe the results (besides "yummy", no offense...)? No flavor or aroma hops?

Just the 60 minute addition of Amarillo and I can still taste it, especially as this beer warms up a bit. I think that, without any caramel or roasted malts present, the hops get more of a chance to come through. You can certainly do three hop additions in a SMASH to tailor it to what you enjoy. I wanted to keep this batch very simple since it was the first one to be brewed in my newly-built 240V E-BIAB rig.

The Vienna is kilned enough so that it has enough character to stand on its own, making it a nice SMASH malt with a very clean, slightly crisp taste that's refreshing (even though mine's 7.2% ABV). The end of the glass has an interesting (and quite pleasant) slightly-herbal spice flavor that kind of reminds me of what you'd find in a nice glass of sauvignon blanc.

Give it a go. :mug:

I know you're not seriously suggesting that I spend money on reading materials. I'm a cheap bastard (just ask my wife). If I was going to spend money on beer-related reading, it would be to support HBT - which I intend to do at some point soon...really!

Sounds right down my alley, though, so thanks for the suggestion. The watered-down IPA I mentioned earlier got really great reviews from my friends (who can't be trusted, as they just want more beer...).

From one cheap bastard to another..you owe me!
English Session IPA:
7.5 lbs Marris otter
8oz Simsons Med crystal malt
1oz Pilgram 12%AA 60 min
.5oz Pilgram 12%AA 10min
.5oz Pilgram 0 min
90 min boil 75% brewhouose Eff OG 1040 IBU 49 SRM 10.6 ABV 4%
5.5gal batch amash 154 for 60 min WLP007 ( Id use notty)

I'm surprised I'm the first one to recommend Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde. I ended up making two 5-gallon batches of it last summer, and because it was so popular I started this summer off with a 10-gallon batch that I fermented with 2 different yeasts. It's a great summer beer that's moderate in alcohol, with enough malt to know its not BCM. I've done some variations with modifying the hop additions and using various yeasts, and I haven't found a combination yet that I don't enjoy.

Regardless of which recipe you choose, good luck!

Thank you all for your thoughtful suggestions.

8Ball's sounds pretty tasty, but would require more ingredient investment than I am prepared for (the 60 lbs of honey I just bought for mead put me over my monthly brewing allowance).

I think I'll try a variation on Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde first. How crucial do you think the Cara-pils is? I have crystal 40L, not 10L - do you guys think I could just use less and maybe boost the Vienna and/or 2-row to compensate and still come close? I'll probably stick with US-05, rather than Notty, since that's what I have on hand.

The SMaSH idea is interesting, but I don't have enough Vienna on hand to push forward with that right now.

Thanks again!

I'm also looking for something along the lines of a light session IPA. Something around 4-5% (I know that's very weak for the style). If anyone can post a recipe that would be great!

I'm also looking for something along the lines of a light session IPA. Something around 4-5% (I know that's very weak for the style). If anyone can post a recipe that would be great!

My mistake ended up around there. It was:

13.5 lbs 2-row
1 lb Crystal 40-L
1 lb Victory
1 oz Magnum FWH (I just toss it into the first runnings and crank up the gas on my turkey fryer while the batch sparge settles)
0.5 oz Simcoe 60 min
0.5 oz Simcoe 25 min
1 oz Cascade 10 min
1 oz Cascade 2 min
1 oz Cascade Dry Hop
2 packets of US-O5

60 min. boil

I was shooting for 4.5 gal, but over-sparged and ended up with 6.5. Nevertheless, it was quite tasty. Also, my efficiency on that batch was only around 70%. I believe the H2O volumes were 5 gal mash and 3 gal sparge, though I RDWHAHB repeatedly during the process:mug:, so... YMMV.

I'm too lazy to pull up the CB recipe, however as long as there is a presence of caramel malts, you should be fine. Usually Carapils is used to aid in head retention, especially in the absence of caramel malts (think pilsners, etc.). Maybe consider increasing your C10 additions to compensate for the difference between C10 and C40. I've made adjustments to the base recipe, added an extra .5 ounce of bittering hops because I wasn't paying attention to the recipe, and have used 3 or 4 different yeasts, and each version has been absolutely drinkable. Make sure you tell us what changes you made, and how the final product came out!

Shakybones said:
I think I'll try a variation on Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde first. How crucial do you think the Cara-pils is? I have crystal 40L, not 10L - do you guys think I could just use less and maybe boost the Vienna and/or 2-row to compensate and still come close? I'll probably stick with US-05, rather than Notty, since that's what I have on hand.

The SMaSH idea is interesting, but I don't have enough Vienna on hand to push forward with that right now.

Thanks again!

Biermunchers Cream of three crops recipe is great for a nice light beer with light crisp flavor.

No offense to BMC (BierMunCher...hmm...) or to you, but I have a very deep-seated personal resentment of rice beer. The feeling is only slightly less for corn. I'm not all Reinheitsgebotty or anything, but there is a noble sentiment underlying the German ideal.

That said, to each his own.

Agree that CB is a good place to start. There's mention in that thread of some tweaks to spice up the flavor profile. I just turned that recipe around in 12 days which included a 3 day cold crash. Gotta love that.

I made a partial mash very close to Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde and it's a great session ale. I would also second the suggestion of making a mild ale - good, malty ale flavor without hating yourself at work the next day.

No offense to BMC (BierMunCher...hmm...) or to you, but I have a very deep-seated personal resentment of rice beer. The feeling is only slightly less for corn. I'm not all Reinheitsgebotty or anything, but there is a noble sentiment underlying the German ideal.

That said, to each his own.

Sad to hear that!
Hitachino makes a GREAT red rice beer.
Kuhnhenn also has a great wild rice IPA.
Nothing BMC about it.

Wondering what's your personal vendetta??

CHeers!

Aside from CB, have you considered a Saison? It probably isn't so light as you were thinking, but it's certainly a summer beer, and could probably be done with ingredients you have on hand (except the yeast, which is a bit specialized for the style). OTOH, if you are willing to buy the ingredients, I have a somewhat successful recipe of my own:

7 lbs Belgian Pilsner Malt
1 lb Caramel Vienne
1 lb Briess White Wheat
1 lb Simplicity Clear Candi Syrup
2 oz French Strisselspalt Pellets (2.7% AA) @ FWH
1 oz Kent Goldings, UK Pellets (5%AA) @ 60 mins
1 oz French Strisselspalt Pellets @ Secondary
1 oz Bitter Orange Peel @ 5 mins
0.25oz Brewer's Garden Paradise Seed, crushed, @ 5 mins
Wyeast Labs French Saison (Wy3711)

Wondering what's your personal vendetta??

I've never had one that I even remotely enjoyed. Unfortunately, I've not tried any from your list. If I ever get the chance, I'll try a sip. Not likely in my present location, though.

I'm not willing to try 5 gallons of something that I've never enjoyed anything similar to before.

As before, to each his own.

Founders all day IPA and green flash citra session are both great session IPAs.

The one most often available in the US in general is Saison Dupont, which is generally held to have revived the style. As with Belgian (and French) ales in general, the style is not very fixed - the color and flavors can vary considerably, though broadly speaking it is a medium-gravity beer that is highly attenuated, and ranging from yellow to amber in color, often with a distinctly orange tint. It often has a mix of fruity and spicy character, and may have actual spices and/or citrus zest added to it. Hop rates are usually low to moderate (the recipe I posted is actually a bit hoppy for the style, in fact), but the general dryness of the style makes the hops come through well. It is often highly carbonated compared to most other Belgian ales, to the point of being effervescent even.

According to some claims, it historically was the last beer brewed in the spring, with whatever malt and hops were left over from the brewing season. Others say it was brewed in the winter and then refermented over the summer, for the next summer's consumption (though this may be getting it confused with Biere de Garde, which is historically related but stylistically distinct). Either way, it is definitely made to be a refreshing summer drink primarily.

Saison blegh! Here's what is try: 1 lb munich or vienna, 8 oz C40 + base malt or extract to get to 1.050-52. If you are all grain mash at 152-4. A little bittering at 60 and 30 with the magnum, 3-4 oz total at 15, 10, 5, and 0 of mixed simcoe and centenial. Use your math or brew software to arrive at 45-50 ibus with most of it from the late additions. Dry hop 1 or more oz each simcoe and centennial.

Light, hopped, quick turn around, what's not to like ( unless you are into Belgians.)

Fwiw and ymmv and WTF,

Cheers!
Steve da sleeve

While I obviously am into Belgian beers myself (why would I have suggested it otherwise?), Stevedasleeve has a point: if you don't like Belgian ales in general, chances are you won't like saisons. Your call, Shakybones.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions! I just weighed out a slight variation on Biermunchers Centennial Blonde:

For 4.5 gal (going into my stupid 5 gal carboy, since everything else is full of IPA and mead)

7lbs 2 row
1lb Vienna
0.25lb Crystal 40L
0.25oz Centennial 60 min
0.25oz Centennial 25 min
0.25oz Centennial 15 min
0.25oz Centennial 2 min
US-05

Should be ~1.046 OG and ~25 IBU and finish me at about 5% ABV. When I screw up, it's usually lower efficiency or higher volume (if that happens I'll have to get creative...), so it should be drinkable. I may adjust further to drop the OG and ABV slightly.

Schol-R-LEA - I have to be in the right mood for Belgian beers. Of course, when I think Belgian, I think sour, so I may just be suffering from a limited scope of experience.

stevedasleeve - Sounds like a good suggestion. I'll stick with what I've weighed for now, but I may play around with something like that. I'm really enjoying playing around with recipes in Brewsmith, but I'm still a bit wary of untested waters. I'd hate to screw up the pipeline and have to actually go buy beer. I think I'll wait until I've built up my reserves.

I was also thinking about trying out Da Yooper's House Pale Ale. Anybody got experience with it?

I have to be in the right mood for Belgian beers. Of course, when I think Belgian, I think sour, so I may just be suffering from a limited scope of experience.
Ah, OK. Saisons generally aren't particularly sour, though some have a little bit of tartness to them. They definitely have that Belgian 'funk', however, less than something like Chimay but present nonetheless.

I must thank all who recommended Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde. I just poured my first draught (a bit soon, but I'm impatient so I force carb) and it is very tasty, light and refreshing. It should be fantastic after another a week or so in the fridge.

Da Yooper's House Pale Ale is up next (1 wk in primary now).

Haha, great to hear! I believe I suggested it first, and my lies were confirmed by several others. It's hard to beat in the summer, and it should get even better with more time. I just put my 2nd keg from my split batch in my kegerator about 30 minutes. It's been conditioning for over a month. I'll probably sneak a small sample tonight with dinner! Glad you are enjoying it!!

Back