Please help me confirm the worst...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keb

Reaction score
Is it infected? This would be my first one, but it was bound to happen at some point. Some of the floaties are leftover trub that came through the siphon because they were floating in the primary after being moved, but now there are alot of white patches.

See pics...if it is infected. Anything that can be done to salvage?

photo-3-55771.jpg

photo-2-55770.jpg

photo-1-55769.jpg

Thanks all!

It is hard to tell from the pictures. This could just be yeast colonies or it may be mold. If it us fuzzy then it is mold. But that does not mean that it is bad. Even if it is mold you can rack from under it and it is usually fine. The only way to really tell is to smell and taste it l. If it taste good then bottle and drink.

Its kind of looks furry but it seems flat at the same time. Dumb question, how would mold get in there?

I guess it could be. I've had CO2 bubbles before they just didn't seem that big. But I guess it's possible. Also around the white is a film that looks almost like an oil. Not trying to be panic noob, but I've done almost 20 batches and never seen this. What's a good way to confirm? Would there be any danger in waiting? Would it be worth siphoning to another carboy? Thanks guys!

I agree....Yeast. Is it still gassing through the air lock? What does that smell like and how far into fermentation is it?

Mold grows in dark moist areas. If mold spores were to land in your wort, they will grow on top. They are very small like pollen.
But I wouldnt worry too much as long as it tastes good.

Actually it doesn't seem to smell at all. No bubbling. Fermentation is done (according to 4 week primary and hydro readings). No additives at secondary. Moved to carboy on tuesday this week.

Haha. Well you guys are making me feel better. So the overall verdict is wait it out until happy with secondary, siphon the beer under the crap on top and taste test. I'll check back if it's start growing anything else in the meantime. Thanks again all.

Latest posts

Back