Please help, Im so confused

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dooman333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
About a month ago I BIAB brewed an ale. Efficiency at about 76% On the day I kegged it I thought it was a good idea to experiment a bit by hooking my uncarbed keg up at serving psi and tapping a few bottles. I used Coopers carb drops. Ive been drinking the forced carbed keg for a few days now, its...ok. Today i just cracked my first bottle (2 weeks at 67 degrees with Coopers drops. There's about 3/4 of an inch of trub at the bottom of each bottle. Im assuming this is because when I filled the bottles it was right after I siphoned from fermentor to keg and all the trub was still in suspension. My reason for this post is because the bottles are FREAKIN DELICIOUS!!!!! What the heck happened? When you crack a bottle and pour out, alot of the trub on bottom mixes in and pours into the glass. The beer on the right is the bottled one. Compared to the keg the bottled beer feels boozier, heavier and tastes FANTASTIC! WAY BETTER THAN A TAPPED ONE! Its not very appealing to the eye (way too cloudy) but I want all my beer to taste this good! So questions are... Why better with all the goop on bottom? If I would have waited for the keg trub to settle then tapped into bottles would the bottles taste the same as the tappers? How can I get my beer to taste this good all around? This is both exciting and frustrating as I have yet to be impressed with my brews. Help would be very much appreciated.

DSC04630.jpg

DSC04635.jpg

How long did you ferment for?

If sounds to me like you may have just kegged too early, depriving your brew of time to properly clear and age. What you put into the bottles had that time, since they were warm. I'm betting the keg is cold though, and that means you shut off that ale yeast before it had a chance to finish cleaning up.

Fermented for about 18 days and thats typically where ive stopped all my brews. (with unsatisfied results) Have I been rushing them all this time? When you refridgerate aging stops all together?

In my experience, yeast don't really take all that long to clean up after themselves once primary is done. If you pitch the proper amount of yeast and aerate with 02, you can be done fermenting in a few days.

Ideally, after the beer is bottled/kegged and carbed, it should age another 4-6 weeks depending on the OG and ingredients. Some beers don't come into their prime until aged for several months.

Yes, when you chill the beer it is preserved and effectively stops aging, or ages reeeally slow.

Back