Please, help if you can.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RighteousDrinker

Reaction score
Yes, i am in need of a hydrometer and i'm unable to purchase one online or near me.
So if you have a spare one, can you please contact me!
Thanks guys.

If you're hard up at the moment and don't have the money to buy a hydrometer, I'd suggest doing an extract recipe for the time being - with extracts you're virtually guaranteed to hit your target OG, so a hydrometer isn't strictly necessary.

No NEED for a hydrometer. Just mash for the right time, as per the recipe. You can confirm visually by ensuring clear wort, and maybe even an iodine test.

Be like Nike..... Just do it!

edit: I totally forgot about the importance of the hydrometer with regards to bottling.

Ignore my comment, and get one. Its THAT important.

For under $10 you can get a hydrometer. This is one thing that should be bought with the first batch of ingredients. Not sure what kind of help you're looking for, but the posters above have it right. Before you buy more ingredients, buy a hydrometer. You could find yourself bottling too soon and those bottles exploding. That is a dangerous issue to face.

For under $10 you can get a hydrometer. This is one thing that should be bought with the first batch of ingredients. Not sure what kind of help you're looking for, but the posters above have it right. Before you buy more ingredients, buy a hydrometer. You could find yourself bottling too soon and those bottles exploding. That is a dangerous issue to face.

Yep, priorities.

Yep, priorities.
Well, I mean if he has other more pressing things to buy in life then sure, skip the hydrometer but whatever happens next in his brewing adventures should include buying one. I was lucky to have gotten one in my deluxe kit. Maybe that isn't standard, but I knew I needed it and loved the science behind it.

Hydrometers are about $7 if you have a LHBS nearby, and are the only way to safely tell if fermentation is completed. Even if you wait to bottle until the beer has been in the fermenter for months, you could have had a stuck fermentation that starts back up in the bottles. Bad news.

If you can't afford to add a $7 piece of equipment to your brewing set, you should probably wait to brew until you can afford such a critical item.

Begging for a hydrometer? I smell a troll.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back