How do you sterilize a 30L glass bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacto

Reaction score
.... Please do not tell me to put it in the oven, I do not have an industrial size cooker!

Although I do not like using chemicals, especially the ones that apparently do not need rinsing, I am willing to use any sanitizer ... so sock it to me ... please.

Sterilize and Sanitize are two different things. For beer making, sanitizing is good enough.

StarSan and Iodophor are common sanitizers here that are considered no rinse when used at the recommended mix ratio.

Chlorine bleach can be used too, but it needs a thorough rinse with clean water afterward. Don't let metal stuff soak very long in Chlorine bleach if you ever use it. It will pit or mar the finish of metals given enough contact time. But at the mix ratio on the bottles, you are good for a couple hours of soak. Which is way more time than stuff needs.

Boiling water will sanitize too. But unless you have a kettle big enough for the 30L carboy to heat up in the water, then I'd be a little leery of pouring boiling hot water in it as it might get some thermal stress and shatter.

Last edited:
.... Please do not tell me to put it in the oven, I do not have an industrial size cooker!

Although I do not like using chemicals, especially the ones that apparently do not need rinsing, I am willing to use any sanitizer ... so sock it to me ... please.
You don’t sterilize you sanitize. 1tbs each bleach and vinegar for 5gal is about the best there is, add separately with a lot of water in between. You don’t have to rinse it, but I do to get rid of the chlorine, then a quick starsan rinse.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/forgot-starsan-bleach-mixture.90824/
I only do this when I forget to rinse my transfer carboy and it starts growing

Latest posts

Back