PLC/HMI Automation Networking issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenHorn

Reaction score
I've got an issue with my beer panel that I'm hoping someone here might be able to help with. I tried a PLC forum first but am coming up empty so thought I might try here. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. My issue is I have a Red Lion G315 HMI that I am trying to configure to send mail to my phone on alarms / alerts, but have not been successful. For example, this would allow me to go do other things while the HLT gets to temp and have it notify me when it's ready.

Just for some info on my setup: The HMI and an AB Micro 1100 PLC are connected to my local network via a range extender (Netgear wn2000rpt) to my primary modem/router (Comcast). My PC is hardwired to the primary router. I have no problem connecting to the internet from any PC (even when connected to network via range extender) and no problem connecting to other devices within the network. However, I can't seem to get any alarm mail messages delivered. I have tried using both Gmail smtp settings and also a third party (SMTP2GO), but still no luck.

I was thinking maybe the HMI may have trouble accessing the internet to reach the smtp servers, but I don't know of a way to test that other than programming a ping command that triggers a light if it returns successful. However, I don't know C Programming well enough to create that program. Can anyone help there?

Also, not sure if that would be a routing issue or a configuration issue in Crimson 3.0 (HMI software). Any ideas?

Sorry for the novel length post...

I've got an issue with my beer panel that I'm hoping someone here might be able to help with. I tried a PLC forum first but am coming up empty so thought I might try here. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. My issue is I have a Red Lion G315 HMI that I am trying to configure to send mail to my phone on alarms / alerts, but have not been successful. For example, this would allow me to go do other things while the HLT gets to temp and have it notify me when it's ready.

Just for some info on my setup: The HMI and an AB Micro 1100 PLC are connected to my local network via a range extender (Netgear wn2000rpt) to my primary modem/router (Comcast). My PC is hardwired to the primary router. I have no problem connecting to the internet from any PC (even when connected to network via range extender) and no problem connecting to other devices within the network. However, I can't seem to get any alarm mail messages delivered. I have tried using both Gmail smtp settings and also a third party (SMTP2GO), but still no luck.

I was thinking maybe the HMI may have trouble accessing the internet to reach the smtp servers, but I don't know of a way to test that other than programming a ping command that triggers a light if it returns successful. However, I don't know C Programming well enough to create that program. Can anyone help there?

Also, not sure if that would be a routing issue or a configuration issue in Crimson 3.0 (HMI software). Any ideas?

Sorry for the novel length post...

I know that Automation Direct Cmore panels that I use can't do HTTPS, so I had to use a SMTP relay to gmail. Maybe the same applies

Thank you for the ideas and comments in trying to help me resolve this. Just in case anyone is curious Red Lion and Gmail don't like to talk to each other. I'm told Red Lion doesn't support SSL or TLS. I had to resolve this by using a 3rd party smtp service (SMTP2GO). Also, simply putting the SMTP2GO server name "smtpcorp.com" in to the HMI wouldn't work either. I had to ping smtpcorp.com to get their actual server IP address and input that into the HMI settings. Then it worked flawlessly.

Now I can truly be lazy and have my beer system text me (through email) when a timer is done, when the HLT is up to temp, or an alarm occurs.

An added bonus is while trying to figure this out, I learned how to set up my HMI as a web server and can control the whole system from my Ipad or phone...

Those features really aren't needed but its fun learning how to set this all up. :tank:

Back