Plate chiller fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBaGZ

Reaction score
Do you guys Teflon tape the fittings on your plate chillers? I have been reading a lot about guys putting the chillers in the oven and was just curious if they re-tape them every time.

So just leave the fittings on? Do you put your chiller in the oven, Bobby?

I haven't yet because I haven't noticed any flow rate issues and I suppose my hot water backflushing has been doing all the work just fine. I do plan to bake it soon to see what else comes out though. I will leave the fittings on.

Yeah, I don't have any flow problems, but I did get an infection in a batch so now I am just trying to get everything cleaned up. I boiled it in oxy, flushed it fwd/bkwd, and had some chunkies come out. Not a lot, but definitely had chunks. Debating if I want to put it in the oven now, too.

Heat sanitizing is how I deal with the potential of junk being in the chiller. At flameout, the 0min hops (bagged of course) go into the kettle and I start recirculating wort through the plate chiller back to the kettle with the coolant turned off. I usually clamp the bag to the side of the pot since I haven't gotten around to building a hop spider yet and put the outflow of the recirc into the bag for force contact with the new hops. 3-5 minutes later, I turn the coolant water on and when the outflow reaches 68F, I redirect to the fermenter.

I understand there are some organisms that can survive it, but I'm pretty confident that 3-5 minutes at 208F is enough to nuke most things that we're worried about like Aceto/Lacto.

All the stuff you have built, and you don't have a hop spider yet? :drunk:

I do the same process at the end of my boil. I am pretty sure the infection came in somewhere after the fact, but I am trying to eliminate every possibility. It was only my 4th batch so I am not too surprised that I screwed something up. Just don't want it to happen again. I'd like to move on to kegging soon so I can eliminate the bottle infection possibility.

Just to let you know.. 500* for an 2 hours, then left in until it was cool, and the tape didn't melt. so guess it's not a big deal to leave on.

Latest posts

Back