Planning my garage brew space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhedrick83

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll be wrapping up a home addition and will be turning my attention to carving out a little brew space in my garage. One benefit is that part of the addition is moving the laundry space from the kitchen elsewhere. The laundry space has a common wall to the garage. I'm going to flip the 240 dryer outlet to the garage as well as the hot/cold/drain lines for the washer to utilize for a shop sink. You guys tell me if you think I'm missing some important components.

Little background on how I brew first. I do 2.5-3 gallon batches as I typically have a beer a day and usually no more than 5-6 in a week. All Grain BIAB with an induction ready SS Brewtech 5.5 gallon kettle. I've been brewing on a gas cooktop in the kitchen but will probably go induction in the garage. I already have my temperature controlled fermentation chamber in the garage. I bottle as well.

Wood stand for BIAB brewing with a spot for 3500w induction plate, prep space and holder for grain mill bucket (Ugly Corona Mill). Stand would have a ratcheting pulley for hoisting and draining the BIAB bag.

Stainless sink with built in drain for clean up. Also going to be my water source for my Immersion Chiller. Size suggestions?

Integrated into the wood stand would be spaces for Vittles Vaults for storing unmilled grains and at least one storage space for brew day tools (scale, thermometer, refractometer, etc)

Since I do small batches, I simply buy Distilled water and treat to match style. Not interested in propane when I have the outlet for induction freely available. One thing I am unsure of is if I need to be considering moisture build up. What am I missing or should probably add for convenience?

If you had a 10 gallon kettle you could get a steam condenser lid, like the one Spike Brewing sells. I have one on my 20 gallon electric BK (also from them) and really like it. It makes it so that I have zero issues brewing in my garage. You might be able to find a SCL made by someone else for your small kettle. Otherwise, you'll want to get a hood (of some type) to catch the steam and remove it from the area. There are issues there of course, not the least is the cost of an actual true condensate hood (NOT cheap).

The Spike Solo 10 gallon setup does 2.5-5 gallon batch sizes. Might be worth looking into. Especially since you can add their SCL to the setup and have zero worries.

Back