Planning my first Oatmeal IPA, and some new first-time techniques...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodobeers

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm planning to make an oatmeal IPA, and also test out FWH first wort hops instead of any boiling additions. Also I'm planning to skip any aroma additions like 15/5 minute ones, and instead try an hour hop stand/whirlpool at about 175F.

It's an experiment for me, not sure how it will go. But if you have a sec, let me know what you think of my draft recipe

PS is there a good way to directly include recipes in some table format, let me know if so...

https://bodobeers.wordpress.com/homebrew-recipes/9-oatmeal-ipa/

Cheers,
Greg

I think the recipe looks fine. I think you could skip the protein rest and minimize the boiling time to 60min though. Ive never heard of a protein rest for an IPA before

I say don´t scrap the protein rest. 15min of that are really important to get the most out of the oats.

I recently brewed one which is about ready. First carbonated sample had an insanely big mouthfeel. We used 10% unmalted wheat and a pound of carapils per 5gallon. Love carapils. That plus water chemistry adjustment (5.4 mash ph, 150ppm sulfate, 100ppm CaCl, plus epsom salt). It has 7,3%, but the mouthfeel is more like 10%+ imperial stout. And juicy hops en masse. The chef who´ll cook a dish to pair and the others in the kitchen asked if we added fruit and were wowed. Not even fully ready yet that brew.

Fermented with Vermont Ale.

In terms of hops we did half the IBU at the beginning of the boil (Polaris), half at 15min (Citra, Cascade, Mandarina Bavaria; smooth bitter plus extra flavor), and flavor addition at flameout. The 100+ IBU are intense and lasting, but damn smooth.

First wort is a great idea imho, but I really dig having half the IBU as late additions. Best course imho would be adding them, then flameout, using and immersion chiller to bring it down to hop stand temps, subisomeric, and then add the hopstand additions.

Sides that I am no vienna fan in IPAs, but that´s a personal thing. All in all the recipe looks good, but for this or others I recommend to consider the things I just noted.

Cool, that's exactly what I hope to accomplish. Having the mouthfeel in the direction of oatmeal stout, the smoother bitterness from FWH, and going for a subisomeric hop stand as you call it. I want those to not contribute to the bitterness so will shoot for 170-175. It's a first attempt, if it's too bitter or too anything I'll adjust for "try number 2" later on. :)

Cool, that's exactly what I hope to accomplish. Having the mouthfeel in the direction of oatmeal stout, the smoother bitterness from FWH, and going for a subisomeric hop stand as you call it. I want those to not contribute to the bitterness so will shoot for 170-175. It's a first attempt, if it's too bitter or too anything I'll adjust for "try number 2" later on. :)
If you have not yet, check out this article I found very helpful. Sub isomeric range means just that no bitterness is added anymore as the alpha acids stop to isomerize. Just flavor extraction there.

https://byo.com/mead/item/2808-hop-stands

And do watch your water. The effect is quite noticeable. Both on mouthfeel and the character of the bitterness.

Plus I can not advocate carapils enough. I throw a pound at everything these days.^^

Back