Pittsburgh/Western PA Group By #9+

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great job today Kyle and Lee. Thanks for all of your hard work and dedication. Oh and the beer was GREAT too.

Thanks Kyle!

PS I like your idea a lot for future orders. If you need help let me know.

Yea thanks
I'm hoping to have more time to help and hang out next pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks Kyle!

PS I like your idea a lot for future orders. If you need help let me know.

Yea - I think it will be easier. For the folks I didn't talk to about it here's the thought.

First 42 items on the pallet get ordered as full sacks. Folks can pick up the remaining splits - the other orders roll to the next pallet.

I found some 16x26 3 mil vacuum bags online (food grade) for 33c a piece. I'll order them and we'll bag the splits in those. It should make pickup pretty easy.

Found 15 gal coffee bean dispensers on ebay for $50, and 40# best bins for the same price. I'm thinking the best bins might not be able to take the extra 15 lbs... Although I could always dump 3 splits in there

Call Delallos http://www.delallo.com/jeannette

Ask for the address of the olive plant, it's been a while so I don't know it. They will sell you 55g drums down to about 20 or 30g drums for under $20 bucks. They are food safe and have gasketed lids. I use them for dog food, bird seed and grain. The little blue ones fit about 80-90 lbs of dog food. I can almost get 2 sacks of 2 row in them. If anyone's going to go, use a truck. I would pay you for some.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414952525.741774.jpg

Good call - I'll look into those.

Do they carry anything like this? I'm ideally looking for a gravity dispenser so that it's easier to deal with splits - just dump grain in, put bucket w/bag underneath, pull lever until it hits target weight, then seal the bag

Ask for the address of the olive plant, it's been a while so I don't know it. They will sell you 55g drums down to about 20 or 30g drums for under $20 bucks. They are food safe and have gasketed lids. I use them for dog food, bird seed and grain. The little blue ones fit about 80-90 lbs of dog food. I can almost get 2 sacks of 2 row in them. If anyone's going to go, use a truck. I would pay you for some.

View attachment 233389

Think they have 5g buckets too, and could these be used for fermenters (or are they too olive-y)?

It might make sense to get a bunch of buckets for grain storage if folks want them.

View attachment 233389

If you search under "food grade" on craiglist, theres a place in Adamsburg selling those for $14. Ive been seeing them for years now.

Heres the listing.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/for/4707109998.html

All - we're currently at 10/42 sacks on the next pallet. My goal is to get this closed out by Thanksgiving.

I should have the split bags, the dispenser, etc. in the next week or do and will post pictures.

Hey guys, I just purchased all of this from the last 2 pallets, but I can't use any of it because I gotta stop brewing to make room for other priorities. If anyone needs some cheap grain ASAP, this would be what you're lookin for. I'd like to sell it all at once. I can meet up downtown this weekend if you prefer.

3 x 50 lbs of Marris Otter
1 x 50lb & 1 20lb bag of GW 2-row
12 lbs of oats
12 lbs of pale chocolate
18 lbs of Vienna
12 lbs of Caramel 60L
12 lbs of honey malt
14 oz of Hallerter Hops
1 lb of Simcoe Hops
3 packs of Belgian Ale yeast
Also have some citra, Columbus and cascade hops I'll throw in.

$350

Thanks!

Hello

Kyle and I have been talking about transferring group buy responsibilities to me. Since taking my new position at http://amwinesupplies.com , actually wine and beer supplies, Kyle has been very busy. I asked the owners and they welcomed it with open arms. Prices will stay the same for the most part. Splits will have to be done by you. Your welcome to do them in our new large store. I was thinking of only ordering a sack for a split when it's at 75%. The store can absorb the other 25% if needed.

I'm thinking March would be a good time to do the next group buy. TRASH may have their meeting at the store too, so some can hit two birds with one stone. We will open on a Sunday to do the grain buy and meeting, you will have free reign on the store and winery. We will give 10% off for you as well.

As I get ready to stock the grain room for the store, please let me know what you would like to see. This store is here to serve you, so let me know what you need to see here. We offer wine and some beer tastings as well and have a knowledgeable staff.

Some changes though. If you order bulk Star San or any chemical that is ORM, you will have to split the bulk containers off site. There is a liability and we can't do it on site.

A great change is the ability to call the store and pay via credit card.

So yes you have read this right, a LHBS will be doing a group bulk grain buy. As I said prices will remain as they are unless there is a increase in cost. We are hoping to be the "friendly" LHBS in the Pittsburgh area. We will also be offering classes and demonstrations though out the year.

Thanks
Pat

Pat, that's very generous. The 100 mile roundtrip to Washington makes that a pretty significant time commitment for those of us in the east.

March sounds great to me Pat. I'm excited by the prospect of a move to Washington PA. It will cut my normal 120 mile round trip down to about 60.

I know there will be issues for some, but the cost savings should help. Maybe someone here could do a pickup for you? Since Monroeville shut down, you guys are feeling the pain..... I promise you this, it will be worth the drive.

again very generous, but i already drive 40+ miles to get to the phg site. it would kill me to travel from indiana, pa to washington any savings would surely be lost.

Thanks Pat and thanks AM for the space. I am excited to check out the new and improved store location. It will definitely be a longer drive for me so I will just have to make it worthwhile. Not sure if it is possible or not, but I saw that Yakima Valley Hops offers good discounts for group buys. Might be worth looking into. Anyway, time to carpool with you brewing friends or drop off the family at the outlets and make everyone happy!

Coyote, I just realized that you were the one who mentioned in another post about Yakima doing group buys. Maybe you can talk to Pat about that. Hopefully I will need to do the group buy in March, if I have room, I would be happy to pick up yours and you can just meet me at my place, east of the burgh.

Not too bad for me. I'd probably rather drive an hour to Washington than fight through the south side... I'm a spoiled suburb driver with a stick shift, haha.

Do you plan on keeping the 'rolling batch' idea?

Rolling batch. I think what it was going to be was as a pallet is filled, one would be ordered. No set time as to when it would happen other than when it was filled. I can think of pros and cons to this method.

Pat, that's very generous. The 100 mile roundtrip to Washington makes that a pretty significant time commitment for those of us in the east.

Yeah, my 60 mile round trip will jump to 120 miles.

Rolling batch. I think what it was going to be was as a pallet is filled, one would be ordered. No set time as to when it would happen other than when it was filled. I can think of pros and cons to this method.

Yup! Just whenever they fill up ya put the order in... and so it goes.

Back