Pittsburgh/Western PA Group By #9+

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bummer Pat, I was hoping that it was going to work out. Hopefully it still can be done with some modifications. Keep us posted.

I just want to say thank you to Kyle for putting this all together and being there for the pick up even though the weather was not the greatest yesterday. I already ripped open my Munich sack to make the Munich Dunkel I'm currently in the process of making.

I just want to say thank you to Kyle for putting this all together and being there for the pick up even though the weather was not the greatest yesterday. I already ripped open my Munich sack to make the Munich Dunkel I'm currently in the process of making.

Very welcome! Hopefully there will be some left for the next group buy. It's been a while since we had a proper beer tasting.

FYI for the rest of you - there's still a bunch of the specialty grains left in case anyone is looking for some.

Yes Kyle I'm looking for rauchmalt, peated, chocolate, debittered black. Where can I find a list of your leftover specialty grains?

There is someone in the wings that may step up and take over for Kyle. Im just too darn busy right now. We can still have A&M as the pickup point and to coincide with the March 15th TRUB and WRASH meetings.

Thanks
Pat

Yes Kyle I'm looking for rauchmalt, peated, chocolate, debittered black. Where can I find a list of your leftover specialty grains?

Fill out the registration link (first page) and I'll get you set up to order.

Yeah, you may want to post the leftovers.

Will do in the next day or two. Good call.

OK - everyone who's registered should have access. Here's what's available as of now. All prices (and all ordering) can be done through the website.
Amt Item Description
4 - TF-CRY45-10 - tf s crystal malt i 42 52 asbc bulk 10# Bag
4 - TF-PCRY-10 - pale crystal bulk 10# Bag
3 - FB-C80_25% - mfb caramel munich malt 80 bulk 25% Split
1 - GW-C60_25% - great western malting crystal 60 malt bulk 25% Split
1 - GW-VIEN_25% - great western 2row vienna malt bulk 25% Split
1 - BM-5374-10 - grain briess 60l crystal malt 10 lb bag
1 - BZ-SMOK-10 - grain best malz rauch malt smoked 10 lb bag
4 - BM-GPLS-10 - goldpils vienna bulk 10# Bag
10 - 5S-PBW50_10% - 5s pbw five star chemicals pbw 10% Split (5 lbs)
2 - BZ-DMUN_25% - dark munich bulk 25% Split
4 - TF-DCRY120-10 - dark crystal malt ii bulk 10# bag
4 - TF-DCRY85-10 - dark crystal malt i bulk 10# bag
1 - BS-CHER-5 - bs cher 5 cherry barrel pack 5 gallon medium toast
2 - BM-5351_25% - briess malting victory malt bulk 25% Split
1 - BM-5400_25% - briess malting chocolate malt bulk 25% Split
2 - BM-5367_25% - briess malting caramel malt 40l bulk 25% Split
5 - BM-5748-1 - briess dry malt brewers gold light 1# bag
3 - BM-BPZ-10 - blackprinz malt bulk 10# bag
2 - BZ-VIEN_25% - best malz vienna malt bulk 25% Split
1 - BZ-PILS - best malz pilsen malt bulk full sack (55#)
1 - BD-PILS - bd pils pilsen bulk full sack (55#)
2 - BM-5405_25% - 2 row caramel malt 10l bulk 25% Split

Personally I would prefer to keep the pickup site on the South Side rather than in Washington, PA.

Personally I would prefer to keep the pickup site on the South Side rather than in Washington, PA.

FYI

OK, let me be clearer, sorry. As far as the group buy, its proceeding normal with Kyle still doing the legwork, no one that I know of is willing to step up and take charge of it. I cant since Im not willing to show my costs. So we are doing a Bulk Grain Sale at A&M on March 15th, start ordering after the 15th of this Month. We will offer everything that Kyle does with the exception of splits, just fill sacks and bags. The discount will be substantial and a 10% discount will be given to all during the pickup on store items. The store will be open just for the Grain Buys customers and TRASH and WRASH clubs that day.

This isn't meant to replace the group buy, just a way to take some of the load off of Kyle. Im sure some of you realize there is a lot of work involved in getting you guys grain cheaply. Kyle has taken much of the burden on himself, in work and financially. Its much easier to do this at A&M because thats what we do, but also have to make payroll and pay the bills. The location is about 20 miles south of Pittsburgh, though since we are doing this quarterly, a drive like this to save some serious money on grain and gear shouldn't be an issue for most.

At the very least you will get to socialize with two local clubs and sample some great beer for free while saving a lot on grain. I will have my Crush Depth IIPA on tap too. (think of the beer in the can from Vermont)

I hope to see you there
Pat

I will be getting a price list together in the next couple days. We will open orders on the same day. It will all be prepay, CC by phone, check or Money order. For those who are concerned about CC over the phone there is always Pay Power CC you can use, you can get them from Giant Eagle.

The cutoff will be March the 3rd and will be ordered on the 4th.

Pickup will start on March 15th at noon to 2pm, then we will have pick up during our normal hours. If the items are not picked up by April 1, your money will be refunded as store credit.

I really hope this bridges the gap

Thanks
Pat

Are there brewers in the Erie area interested in a more localized bulk buy option? Need to have minimum 10 50/55 LB bags per total bulk buy event. Many grains available, a number in 10 LB bags as well.

Let me know if there are enough of you interested and I'll present a scenario that may be very workable for repeat purchases.

Just a thought, but I wonder if there's any chance of us convincing MoreBeer to set up a will call at their Aliquippa store? They're selling a sack of Great Western 2-row for $37 and Briess Crystal 60L for $42.75. Even if they charged a couple bucks to pull it off of the shelf, we'd still be ahead.

It is only 10 minutes from where I work on rt 65. I called them this fall about will call and they said they don't do it and that they have no intentions of ever doing it. I did not think to ask if they would do it if we bought 52 sacks. :)

It's worth another shot. They'll do pickup of large equipment, so maybe grain too?

SSHB is working on bulk buys as well - I haven't gotten a chance to catch up with the owners yet, but I did get a chance to check out the new space. It's a pretty good size.

It's worth another shot. They'll do pickup of large equipment, so maybe grain too?

We might just need to talk to the right person. Chris Graham is the president but I can't find any direct contact info for him.

How long does it take to get on the email list sign up? I've signed up twice thinking maybe I missed something the first go round. Just wondering. Thanks.

How long does it take to get on the email list sign up? I've signed up twice thinking maybe I missed something the first go round. Just wondering. Thanks.

There are still a bunch of specialty grains available (packaged in 10# or 12.5# vacuum bags), as well as a few sacks of pilsner. PM me if you're looking for something.

I know the drive may be longer, but the bulk grain sale at A&M is still taking orders, I think we are at 2 pallets already. Remember we will fill any partial pallet with store stock so you will get what you want.

I know the drive may be longer, but the bulk grain sale at A&M is still taking orders, I think we are at 2 pallets already. Remember we will fill any partial pallet with store stock so you will get what you want.

I'm getting some Acid #5 and some caustic cleaner, it comes in 4x 1g jugs to a box, if anyone wants to buy a jug, let me know.

Are there brewers in the Erie area who would be interested in a more local group buy? I asked once, got no response - will ask once more.

Can set up something very convenient if there is interest.

I'm also happy to announce, I will be doing CO2 fills. Normal cost is $15 for a 5lb tank, on March 15th, the bulk sale pickup day, fills will be $10!

All I ask is if you plan on getting a fill that day, please pm me and let me know how many fills you plan to get. That way I can have enough CO2 on hand.

Thanks

How much for a fill on a 10 lb and a 7 lb ?

$15 for the 10#
$12 for the 7#

Only on 3/15

Reg price would be

5# $15
7# $17.50
10# $20.00

I know it's difficult to do a 20# tank, since it needs to be pre chilled to fill it. I can try, but no promise on level in a 20#

$15 for the 10#
$12 for the 7#

Only on 3/15

Reg price would be

5# $15
7# $17.50
10# $20.00

I know it's difficult to do a 20# tank, since it needs to be pre chilled to fill it. I can try, but no promise on level in a 20#

First I've heard of this, would you please elaborate? Although based on what I could find searching and that it seems that this is a new venture for you, I'm guessing it might have something to do with not having a pump.

As an aside I've now taken five pounders to three different suppliers and they all come up short :mad:

First I've heard of this, would you please elaborate? Although based on what I could find searching and that it seems that this is a new venture for you, I'm guessing it might have something to do with not having a pump.

As an aside I've now taken five pounders to three different suppliers and they all come up short :mad:

Yep, pump.

The details of this new buy are vastly different from the organization/pickup location/general operation details of the former buy, which are those that are posted in the very first post of this entire thread. Although, I am not participating in this new buy, (I have participated in past ones), from an outsiders point of view, in reading the posts, it seems to provide many brewers the continued opportunity to obtain materials and ingredients at a reduced cost. In general, it continues to be a generous donation of time and effort by its new organizer. Still, since so much has changed, would it be beneficial or more appropriate to list the organization/pickup location/general operation details in the first post of a new thread? If the operation of future buys is still undecided, then leaving the details of this new buy in this thread may be appropriate.

As I said, I am not participating (I believe I have more grain than my LHBS), but I may participate in the future.

Latest posts

Back