Pitching yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawaiianBrew

Reaction score
Looked all over for this one topic, found nothing. Would it be ok to brew up a batch (5 gallons) and then pitch the yeast in say 24 hours later. Reason why I ask is my yeast starter won't be ready till 24 hours. I haven't started the batch yet just checking to see if anyone sees a problem with that process. Thanks in advance.

Generally you want to get the yeast in ASAP because it minimizes the time when bacterial colonies can take hold in your brew. You want yeast to be the only microorganism in your beer.

However, lots of people use the no-chill method where you close up your fermenter and let it sit until it is at the right temperature. That can take 8-12 hours and it is often late enough that people just finish brewing at night and pitch the next day. So it's certainly possible, but there are risks. Be careful with sanitation and you'll be fine.

Looked all over for this one topic, found nothing. Would it be ok to brew up a batch (5 gallons) and then pitch the yeast in say 24 hours later. Reason why I ask is my yeast starter won't be ready till 24 hours. I haven't started the batch yet just checking to see if anyone sees a problem with that process. Thanks in advance.

Since you haven't yet brewed I would wait, or buy another vial of yeast to add to your starter however There are quite a few that do this... look at "no chill" methods where the wort chills over night and the pitch happens the next day. If I were to pitch that much later I would almost prefer to not chill as the extended heat would give me assurance that bugs won't take hold but pitching past 12 hours would make me nervous. either way you would probably be ok assuming you trust that your sanitation processes are up to par. I've not done this myself though so you might wait for reassurance from others.

Generally you want to get the yeast in ASAP because it minimizes the time when bacterial colonies can take hold in your brew. You want yeast to be the only microorganism in your beer.

However, lots of people use the no-chill method where you close up your fermenter and let it sit until it is at the right temperature. That can take 8-12 hours and it is often late enough that people just finish brewing at night and pitch the next day. So it's certainly possible, but there are risks. Be careful with sanitation and you'll be fine.

+1. I've done 2 batches back-to-back like this. Sanitize well, keep your wort protected from bugs, and you should be ok. I used the snow and cold air to bring my wort down enough to move it to a bucket for one batch and a glass carboy for another, then sealed it overnight and pitched yeast the following morning.

Since I haven't started the batch yet, I think I'm going to wait. I normally start the yeast starter the day before but for got that process some how. So when I came home today with the grains I saw that there was no yeast starter. Thanks to all that responded with much respect. Lol not really a new brewer but for those that need to know this would be a good topic.

I usually time my starter out to pitch approx 15-24 hours after racking to my fermenter. I use campden tablets to remove chloramine, and it says to wait 24 hours until pitching yeast. I have had zero issues with this method. As long as you are sanitary, you should be fine.

I usually time my starter out to pitch approx 15-24 hours after racking to my fermenter. I use campden tablets to remove chloramine, and it says to wait 24 hours until pitching yeast. I have had zero issues with this method. As long as you are sanitary, you should be fine.

I use campden and have never heard of this before. Interesting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I use campden and have never heard of this before. Interesting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

It actually says it on the back of the package, at least for the stuff I use. I didn't notice it until after doing 10+ batches with it..and I never noticed any ill side effects.

Back