Pitching Less Than A Full Vial Of Liquid Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super64

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing my first Cream Ale this weekend.

Real simple version 3 pounds DME, half-pound pound corn, hops, yeast.

O.G. is calculated to be 1.050, F.G. at 1.012

It's a small batch (3 gallons) and my local beer supply store has WLP-080 White Labs Cream Ale yeast.

This is the first time I've use flaked maize and the third time I've used liquid yeast.

My understanding is that the full vial or vial + starter is enough for 5 gallons.

What about 3 gallons? Do I pitch half or 3/4 of the bottle. or over-pitching be damn?

Thanks.

Pitching the whole vial won't be over pitching. I'd likely still make a starter for it to be honest.

Yep, the mrmalty pitching rate calculator says you'll need a 1 L starter (or 1.5 vials of yeast) for a 3 gallon, 1.050 batch (dependent on the freshness of your vials, this was run thru assuming they were produced 1 month ago). Thats if you arent using a stir plate or anything, just a simple starter.

I agree with the other responses.

Definitely make a starter, even if you're pitching the WHOLE vial of liquid yeast.

Without looking up the pitching rate I think you could pitch the whole thing without a starter, but I'd probably still do a 12 hour starter, not only to build up cells and get them vigorous, but to proof the yeast.

Latest posts

Back