Pitching and airlock Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALExanderH

Reaction score
Hi, I'd like to dip my toes in your fountain of wisdom!
When I pitch the dry yeast(fermentis), should I shake my carboy?
If so how much and should I shake before or after I put my plug with the airlock in?
Another question is with the airlock, should I fill the airlock before or after I plug it into the carboy? I filled it after I plugged it in and I have the two part(bubbler) and the vodka I put in only fills the outer compartment and the U turn but not the inner compartment. It's bubbling steady now at a 10 sec interval after one night.

I apologize if there are any misused words as english is not my first language :)

If shaking is how you oxygenate your wort you should shake hard and long, doesn't matter if the oxygen reaches the wort before or after your yeast.

You should shake before plugging in the airlock, or else you might suck whatever's in the airlock down into your wort and you have to fill it up again.

As long as some part of the airlock is full it's good. But better to fill it up more than less, in case of a vigoruos fermentation which can leave it dry afterwards.

As this is my first time doing it by myself oxygenating the wort wasn't something I was aware of. So if shaking is the method I will use in the future, should I have a whole plug(without hole for airlock) and shake, then remove that plug and replace with the plug with the airlock?

If I top up on the fluid in the airlock, should I sanitize my hands and the top cap?

You only want to shake before or right after adding yeast. One the yeast starts doing its job you don't want to disturb it.

Good sanitization is important, but I don't worry too much about the outside of the airlock- much like life itself, it's what's on the inside that counts.
I usually aerate my wort and pitch dry yeast on top without shaking or stirring. Sometimes I pitch and then aerate. I haven't noticed any significant difference. 🍻

Thanks guys!
So just to confirm.
After pouring the wort into the carboy
pour the yeast in
then put a whole plug and shake
remove the whole plug for a plug with an airlock and fill the airlock?

I prefer to aerate before pitching the yeast. I don't like how lil bits of yeast get stuck to the sides above the liquid line. Waste not, want not as they say. But yeah, solid plug while aerating, then airlocked plug afterward. I use a 50/50 mix of vodka or other plain, clear high ABV% liquor mixed with Starsan just for added protection. The Starsan being mixed 50/50 with the liquor helps keep the Starsan from foaming up & out of the airlock.

A note on the airlock, I prefer to fill mine after the fermentor has had a chance to cool down a bit and equalize pressure since my fermentation temp is usually lower than my pitching temp. Otherwise I get the liquid sucked out of my airlock.

I don't know how you do it, but I chill the hot wort down to 75F or so. Then strain into fermenter & top off with spring water that's been chilling in the fridge a day or two before brew day to recipe volume. Then stir roughly for 3-5 minutes with my plastic paddle to mix the wort & top off water well to further aerate & mix well. This gets the wort down to 62-65F rather quickly & can also give a decent cold break.

I'm doing full volume boils, but I also use an IC so getting down to pitching temp isn't an issue. My kitchen can get to 80F while brewing though and the closet where I'm fermenting is around 62F, and I find the chiller is much less effective once I get closer to pitching temps so I just don't worry about it once I'm in the right range.

On that note, if the OP is using extracts, that's a great method for cooling the wort. Certainly faster than just an ice bath.

Ah, mentioning top off water. I'm only doing 11,5 litre batches. Is there a limit on how much top off water can be used? Will it affect flavour, abv or anything else?
As I don't have space for a larger pot than I'm using now I must rely on top off water to get the most out of my batch. Is 3 litres too much or okay?

Also I'm doing BIAB and had no issues with cooling the wort :)

The top off water will lower your OG and therefore lower ABV. But... if you use a calculator and you include the top off water in your final batch volume it shouldn't change anything. And if you're following a recipe this should already be taken into account.

The volume of top off water depends on how concentrated your boil is and what your batch size is. 3L for an 11.5L batch seems reasonable.

Latest posts

Back