Pitching 2 different dry yeasts.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeDrewBrew

Reaction score
Its been going around in my mind for a bit now so here we go.
I have an Oktoberfest beer that has been tossed onto a california ale V yeast cake on Friday night and was thinking as i do have sum dry S23 lager yeast why not toss a little in after krausen has fallen to see what it does and leave it for another week after?..
Should i try it?
Has anyone tried this?.

After the krausen has fallen the beer is mostly done, I imagine it would do nothing much but waste your packet of yeast.

Not to hijack but what about two different yeasts at the beginning? Say two packs in a big beer?

What also about ale yeast first week of fermentation then some lager yeast tossed in too?.
I think it would suit the Late Oktoberfest im doing.

Again, a week in the beer is pretty much done. Not sure what you think pitching the lager yeast at that point is going to do. If you pitch them both together I assume they would compete, probably depends what temp you use as to what takes hold first.

^^^ Agreed. If you wait until the krausen has fallen then the beer will basically be done fermenting. Any esters/flavors created by the original yeast will already be present and a tiny amount of lager yeast won't really make any difference in the final flavor. This is especially true if the original yeast has about the same attenuation range as the lager strain. I cant imagine it will do any harm to toss dry yeast into the beer, but I also can't imagine it will make any impact on the end product if you wait until the krausen has already fallen.

What will make a difference is actually lagering the beer by storing it cold for weeks/months before serving.

Back