Pitching 2 Different Dry Yeasts into Same Batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDarcy

Reaction score
I suspect the answers to this will be, "Go for it, no problem," or "Why Bother? Just use one packet," but I'm curious...:

I'm brewing a 1.066 OG IPA tomorrow and kinda threw the recipe together while at the LHBS. Anyhow, they had a 10g (not 11.5g, like Safale) packet of dry yeast called Mangrove Jack M10 "Workhorse" that I'd never seen before. The staff recommended it, so I figured I'd give it a try.

Anyhow, playing with the recipe in Beersmith and checking Mr. Malty, both suggest more than 1 packet (of 11.5g) dry yeast. So, here's the question(s):

I always have a packet of US-05 around. Can I pitch it AND the Mangrove M10 in the same 5.5 gallon batch? What's the worst that could happen? Both strains claim to produce clean, neutral profiles (though the M10 touts fermentation temps as high as 90F!). Or, should I just pitch one (not two) and not worry about it? I'm more confident with an 11.5g packet of US-05 in my 5.5 gal batches, but I've never tried this M10 before and it's "only" 10g...

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight!

Honestly with the OG only being around 1.066 I would just rehydrate and pitch the Workhorse pack, and save the US-05 for your next batch. Your OG is low enough that it shouldn't stress out the yeast that much. This way you can judge the flavor profile of the yeast yourself, if you pitch both then you won't know if the Workhorse is worth buying anymore.

Agreed. There is probably a reason that it is called "Workhorse" and comes in a slightly lesser amount than a "Normalhorse" yeast.

Pitch it and test the horse.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back