Pitched high, accidentally fermented low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kebrugler

Reaction score
After reading through numerous topics I think I already know the answer, but, I pitched my yeast between 70 - 75 per my fryer thermometer (may not be the most accurate, and then put my fermenter in a Rubbermaid cooler to lower the temp, to maintain in the 60s. Well I may have had too much ice bottles in there last night, and temp was low in my house, and the fermometer was around 60-57. I know this is too cold, so I took it out currently, and am trying to make the water a little warmer. Will this work? My SG was unadjusted 1.40 and I rehydrated a packet of muntons yeast it came with. There are no visible signs of fermentation yet. I know it's not ruined, but it's my first batch and want to make sure I am taking the proper steps to remediate this issue

Let not your heart be troubled. Your wort-becoming-beer is fine.

Low 70's pitch temp isn't ideal, but it's not horrible either for ale yeast.

Likewise, have a temp drop into the 60* area may slow your yeast down (or not), but won't hurt it. I haven't used Muntons, so I don't know the range, but I've intentionally run Nottingham at 55*F and it did great.

Don't try to warm your water up. Let it come up to the mid-60's on its own.

It depends on the temperature ranges for the yeast you used like BigFloyd mentioned.

I pitched my Wyeast 1056 @ 78F when I did my first batch, but dropped it down to 60 and let it ferment there in my garage. The temp range for this yeast strain is 60-72F and my brew turned out perfect.

I'm with BigFloyed - Let your brew come up to temp on its own and just be patient.

From looking around online, it says this yeast's range is from 57-77. It's currently sitting at 60ish and slowly creeping up. Would going under the 57 kill the yeast or just cause them to go into suspension? And warming up to mid 69's would wake them back up?

image-3065243680.jpg

From looking around online, it says this yeast's range is from 57-77. It's currently sitting at 60ish and slowly creeping up. Would going under the 57 kill the yeast or just cause them to go into suspension? And warming up to mid 69's would wake them back up?

It won't hurt them at all, just cause them to slow down their activity some. For most styles, it's so much better to be down at the lower end of the range than the upper. I'd be concerned about off-flavors if you ran it up into the mid-70's.

Let it ride slowly back up into the middle 60's. Hopefully, you can keep it there until the last couple of days when it doesn't hurt to let it come up around 70-71* to finish before bottling.

Otherwise, you can leave it alone and don't worry about it.

Great thanks. It was an Irish stout style btw, and I meant mid 60's in my post before. It's been a little over 24 hours, so hopefully there is some action by tomorrow (even though I know airlock activity doesn't mean much, but I wanna see some bubbling!)

So this morning there still was no activity, so I swirled the fermenter w/ airlock in place, like I'd read on here, and it started releasing the C02 build up that that settled in. Howver it is still bubbling now, 4.5 hours later, is this a good sign that the yeast are doinmg something? I don't want to open the top and risk infection, but I also don't want to wait 4 weeks and find out my yeast did nothing.

Back