Pitch yeast into foamy juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diyHardCider

Reaction score
I've been trying a lot of 1-gallon batches to test some different variables. Been reading that aeration is good prior to pitching yeast, so I give the apple juice (store-bought, nothing fancy) a really good shake, then pour it into the carboy. All this aeration causes a fair bit of foam... so much so that if I pitched yeast, it wouldn't reach the juice. Seems like my options are:
  • Don't shake the juice prior to pitching.
  • Pitch the yeast on top of the foam and wait for it to make it's way down as the foam settles.
  • Pitch the yeast on top of the foam and stir/shake to to get it down to the juice.
  • Try to make a 'tunnel' in the foam and pitch through the tunnel (tried this... sort of worked :) )
  • Follow the yeast packet instructions to hydrate the yeast prior to pitching (something I used to do, but stopped as it requires more time/energy/sanitizing/stress and was reading it doesn't make much of a difference).
  • Pour 90% of the juice in the carboy, add the yeast to the remaining 10% in the juice container, jostle it around so it hydrates and mixes in, then pour that into the carboy (essentially making a starter).
Which method do people use? Seems like the last option is the best... but do I need to heat the juice (sounds like more time/sanitation/stress)? Should I really shake it in, or just let it do it's thing)? How long should I wait to pitch it into carboy?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I just pitch right on top of the foam, eventually it'll settle down and the yeast will reach the cider. You don't need to heat the juice either thats just making more work imo.

I just toss the dry yeast right on top of the still room temp juice....never had an issue. (...and I don't rehydrate).

Cheers!

Back