Piss poor crush from Midwest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why even bother buying grains online? Aren't they cheaper in person?

I have 3 in different directions about an hour and a half from me. They're all pricey on bulk grain, about $10 cheaper than price + shipping on some stuff. I'm willing to drive 3 hours each way for the HBT Group Buy bulk grain purchase prices. I bought a grain mill when I went all grain, after reading that it's to the advantage of the grain seller to sell poorly crushed grain.

Why even bother buying grains online? Aren't they cheaper in person?

No. I get bulk pricing from Midwest, Northern Brewer, etc, on base AND specialty grains. My LHBS does not provide bulk pricing on anything except base grains. Plus, they sell bulk in odd sizes.

Austin Homebrew, 40lbs (??) Marris Otter, $69.99 + $5.77 tax = $1.89 / pound.
Midwest, 55lbs Marris Otter, $63.89 + $30.08 shipping = $1.71 / pound

So why wouldn't I buy bulk grains online?

Didn't realize the LHBS situation was so dire for so many people. I drive 45 minutes to the nearest one, and thankfully it's the best I've come across. I've done the 90-minute drive to check out different LHBSes, and always find pricier or dirty or poorly stocked.

My condolences to everybody else that isn't near a decent LHBS. Didn't realize there was so many of you... :eek:

If you live in the boondocks, a mill makes even more sense. You could order in bulk, saving on shipping costs multiple times, and the grain will keep longer. That $100 for the mill would come back in saved shipping costs pretty quickly.

Back