Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent some more time sanding last night. It's pretty much at the point that I could call it good enough and move on, but there are a few areas where it's not quite symmetrical or the transition from the shank to the stem is not quite where I would like it to be. The grain actually turned out to be quite nice on this one. I am somewhat pleasantly surprised.

The rest of us will just use our imaginations.

My collection of briars is about 50/50 smooth/textured.

I will say that the larger rusticated pipes I have tend to smoke cooler.

Maybe the texturing acts a bit like a heat sink.

FWIW if you're just getting into pipe smoking, I'd avoid drastic bends. They tend to collect water, if you smoke hot, which I did frequently when I started smoking pipes.

Maybe the texturing acts a bit like a heat sink.

FWIW if you're just getting into pipe smoking, I'd avoid drastic bends. They tend to collect water, if you smoke hot, which I did frequently when I started smoking pipes.

I think it does, but only on the larger pipes. On the smaller, I think it removes too much material and makes for a warmer than otherwise would be pipe.

Potentially, but you also have to look at the fact that larger (and I use larger here to mainly indicate thicker around the bowl area) pipes in general will smoke cooler simply because there's more briar available as insulation. I agree with what you're saying for the smaller pipes, as the rustication will add areas of thinner bowl wall. However, on a larger pipe, I think the main contributor for the cool smoke is the thicker bowl walls.

I'm expecting my rhodesian that I'm making to be exceptionally cool since the bowl is very thick.

Potentially, but you also have to look at the fact that larger (and I use larger here to mainly indicate thicker around the bowl area) pipes in general will smoke cooler simply because there's more briar available as insulation.

This I know. Was mostly comparing pipes of same size. The large pipes I have that are smooth, tend to feel warmer in the hand than a similar sized rusticated.

I'm just about out of that tin my buddy picked up for me, Sunset something. Found it relatively lacking but it was nice to figure out some subtleties of my pipe and how it smokes. Think I'm going to order something off of P&C's to get me through the holidays. Any suggestions? It all looks the same to me.

:: was there was a Navy one you guys said was good?

I'm just about out of that tin my buddy picked up for me, Sunset something. Found it relatively lacking but it was nice to figure out some subtleties of my pipe and how it smokes. Think I'm going to order something off of P&C's to get me through the holidays. Any suggestions? It all looks the same to me.

:: was there was a Navy one you guys said was good?

Escudo Navy De Luxe is supposed to be the VaPer blend. I have a small sample, but haven't tried it yet.

It'll fluff up nicely once the stickiness dries out some and is rubbed out again.

Rubbed out? I don't even know. That sunset blend stuff actually burned so amazing the last couple days. I think it finally had time to dry up a bit. I'm going to run out really soon. Too bad there's not like a variety pack to try out lol.

Rubbed out? I don't even know. That sunset blend stuff actually burned so amazing the last couple days. I think it finally had time to dry up a bit. I'm going to run out really soon. Too bad there's not like a variety pack to try out lol.

Some tobaccos come in slices, plugs, cubes, etc.. All compressed and stuck together. The Escudo is formed into a rope, and then thin spiral disc slices are cut off the end for packaging.

From this, it must be rubbed out. Although some just fold the flake/slices/cubes into the pipe and smoke it like that. To rub it out you literally rub it between your palms to break it apart into the bits or ribbons.

But, there are also a LOT of tins that are ready rubbed.

Look for samplers at most all of the online tobacconists. They usually have some pretty good deals.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/tin-samplers/

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/bulk-pipe-tobacco-samplers/

Look for samplers at most all of the online tobacconists. They usually have some pretty good deals.

Oh.. so it is a real thing. Thanks so much man, I'm going to pick one of these. I don't want to have to go and prepare something to smoke. I just grab a pinch as I go out the door. No need to over-complicate it until I find something I really like. This is awesome.

Oh.. so it is a real thing. Thanks so much man, I'm going to pick one of these. I don't want to have to go and prepare something to smoke. I just grab a pinch as I go out the door. No need to over-complicate it until I find something I really like. This is awesome.

The smaller puck like tins are usually pretty compressed but many only need a bit of fluffing to separate the flakes or ribbons. I usually rub out a tin and then store it in a ziplock bag because it will no longer fit in the tin.

But, the larger cans are usually pre-rubbed. These are the ones the size of a mixed peanut tin or larger.

Just take a moment to look at the packaging notes on the cut type and you quickly learn what to expect.

@TheCADJockey, did you pick a pipe yet?

He went with this one:

acrylic_bongs004.jpg

@TheCADJockey, did you pick a pipe yet?

Not yet. I just found the 'garage sale' section and there's even more to choose from. I can't make up my mind. I'm kind of torn between the Baraccini Tavern:

pm-pbrtn-01.png

... and the Bjarne Viking Sandblast:

pm-p143258.png

Now I can see how a collection could quickly happen.

Not yet. I just found the 'garage sale' section and there's even more to choose from. I can't make up my mind. I'm kind of torn between the Baraccini Tavern:

pm-pbrtn-01.png

... and the Bjarne Viking Sandblast:

pm-p143258.png

Now I can see how a collection could quickly happen.

Both are nice looking pipes. Either would serve you well.

Pfft! Two pipes is not a collection.

It's a starter set. ;)

I might also suggest you grab one of these;

http://corncobpipe.com/10-pipe-grab-bag-of-smokable-seconds.html

~$3.00 per pipe, and corn cob. They are great pipes albeit a bit "rustic".

And this, cobs are excellent pipes. Either pick one up cheap or make one. Mine is home made (though not by me), and is an excellent smoker.

I love watching craftsmanship happen regardless of the end product. These are great pictures. Thanks for posting the images of your creation. Wondeful stuff.

The real question is, after him having done it himself, does the act further value or de-value the concept of the ~$200 to ~$1000 pipes?

I for one, have never understood a ~$1000 pipe.

It seems to be ceramic with a metal bowl. Never seen anything like it and hope it smokes as well as it looks.

I've seen something like it...

The ceramic part isn't the concern, or the telling component. The metal bowl in that picture is VERY similar to a number of very poorly constructed Chinese made "briar" pipes I've seen in the past. I say briar, but they were actually plastic.

My wife gave me this yesterday for my birthday. I was an ass and not as appreciative as I should have been so I owe her. It seems to be ceramic with a metal bowl. Never seen anything like it and hope it smokes as well as it looks. Will be loading it and testing it out shortly.
View attachment 320293
View attachment 320294

That's gorgeous. You owe her a tummy rub.

Ceramic pipes smoke great. Not sure about that metal liner.

That's gorgeous. You owe her a tummy rub.

Ceramic pipes smoke great. Not sure about that metal liner.

The way it's built is pretty smart actually. It's like a calabash and smoked really really well. It's free air below the metal bowl making for a cool/dry smoke.

I dunno why, but I do adore the aromatics and a pipe.

With cigs/cigarillos I wasn't all that fond of the flavored varieties. A clove while overseas was about all I could take.

But, from a pipe is a whole different story. The room note alone is half the enjoyment for me.

Recent favorites have been Iwan Ries Three Star Bronze, Blue Note, Milonga, and Vanilla Black Cavendish. Just smelling them on my clothes an hour later makes me want to go have another bowl.

Beauty!! Love the Rhodesian-styled pipes. They look great!!

I do very much like the shape and size. Bulldogs too. Prefer bent but won't turn down a straight.

I've found I was pretty abusive to my early pipes (smoking too hot) especially at break-in. Trying to take it very easy on this one.

Hardest part for me transitioning to pipe exclusivity was breaking the inhale habit. I still do it occasionally but I've finally learned to just enjoy the flavors. Once in a while I still get a decent wobble from a nicotine buzz.

Latest posts

Back