Piney/Dank West Coast IPA critique:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryking13

Reaction score
Thoughts on my west coast IPA recipe? I want it to be very dank/piney:

12# 2-row, 1# caramel/crystal30, 1# carapils, US-05 yeast

.25oz CTZ @ 60,30,15 .25oz Simcoe @ 30,15,5 .25oz idaho7 @ 30,15,5

Some sort of Simcoe/idaho7 dry hop

Good choice of hops for dank and piney but you will want a lot more for a 5 gallon batch. How much simcoe and Idaho 7 can you get?
I would recommend keeping it in 5-6% range for dank pale ale
.5 oz CTZ at 30 and 15
.5oz simcoe at 15 and 0
1 oz Idaho 7, whirlpool at 160-180 degrees
DH: 1 oz CTZ, 2 oz each simcoe & Idaho 7

definitely let us know how it comes out. I’m brewing in 2 weeks for the first time in over a year and using Apollo, simcoe, comet and Idaho 7.

Good choice of hops for dank and piney but you will want a lot more for a 5 gallon batch. How much simcoe and Idaho 7 can you get?
I would recommend keeping it in 5-6% range for dank pale ale
.5 oz CTZ at 30 and 15
.5oz simcoe at 15 and 0
1 oz Idaho 7, whirlpool at 160-180 degrees
DH: 1 oz CTZ, 2 oz each simcoe & Idaho 7

definitely let us know how it comes out. I’m brewing in 2 weeks for the first time in over a year and using Apollo, simcoe, comet and Idaho 7.
Thanks for the feedback! When you say 5-6%, what do you mean? 5-6% of what?
Do you think I should scrap the 60min charge or are those in addition to that?

sorry I wasn’t clear- 5-6% ABV.
I would just drop the 60 minute charge entirely but it’s your beer and you can’t go wrong depending on how bitter you want it. I’m still a fan of multiple boil additions and will usually start my first addition around 15 or 20 minutes, and skip the 60 min. Good luck!

I really like piney west coast IPAs, and I generally do a 60 minute addition and then start back up at 15 minutes. Not much need for both a 60 and a 30. Just pick one and then do your later additions.

My favorite recipe in this vein has an OG of 1.070 and uses 1 oz of Columbus at 60 minutes; 0.5 oz each of Columbus, Simcoe, and Apollo at 15 minutes; and then the same three-hop combo at 5 minutes. No flame outs or whirlpools, just a big 3 ounce dry hop. I would ratchet the hops down a bit if your OG is lower, but that should give you an idea of the ratios. That recipe gives a very solid bitterness that's still balanced.

Just made a west coast IPA looking for a piney resinous with hints of tropicals, out of the fermentor tasted amazing, still carbonating, the recipe was:
Briess 2Row 94%
Biress Caramel 60 6% OG: 1.068
40 IBU Magnum @60
15 IBU Magnum @15
1oz simcoe and 1 oz mosaic hop stand, around 6 IBU
1oz simcoe, 1 oz mosaic, 0.5oz magnum dry hop
fermentis us05
Home IPA.jpg

So I would just move the flavor/aroma aditions to the last 10 minutes or hop stand. But thats me. greetings.

@ryking13 checking in to see if you had a chance to brew this. I'm looking to do a dank/piney beer wondering how this turned out if you made it.
sorry I just saw this. I did and it's incredible. I actually wish it was slightly more dank/piney but it's the flavor profile I was going for. It's really smooth, not terribly bitter and has really good flavor/aroma. The only odd thing is I'm getting an aroma that I can't quite pin-down, almost like a musty smell. Can't tell if it's an off flavor or just from the hops I used.

@ryking13 checking in to see if you had a chance to brew this. I'm looking to do a dank/piney beer wondering how this turned out if you made it.
This was my exact hop schedule that I landed on: 1oz ctz @ 60 59ibu .25oz simcoe @ 10, .5oz @ 5 9ibu .25oz ctz @ 10, .5oz @ 5 10ibu .25oz idaho7 @ 10, .5oz @ 5 8.4ibu .75oz each whirlpool @ 125' (whoops) for 20min, dry hopped 2oz idaho/ctz 1oz simcoe after 6 days for 48 hrs at 50', cold crashed, kegged

Back