Pineapple mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfowl01

Reaction score
Hey Everybody,
I was planning on trying a pineapple mead sometime soon and could use some advice. I've heard that because of the acidity in pineapple it can turn out pretty harsh. I usually do 3 parts water or juice to 1 part honey for my recipes. I was thinking maybe I should try a 2:1 ratio to combat the acidity.....any thoughts?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Home Brew mobile app

Hey Everybody,
I was planning on trying a pineapple mead sometime soon and could use some advice. I've heard that because of the acidity in pineapple it can turn out pretty harsh. I usually do 3 parts water or juice to 1 part honey for my recipes. I was thinking maybe I should try a 2:1 ratio to combat the acidity.....any thoughts?

Put the pineapple in the secondary. Keep in mind though it will add a lot of volume. Also, the pulp will be a bit striningy but other than that it will render nearly all of it's juice. Just cut up into 1 inch squares and put in a mesh bag. I did this after freezing/thawing the pineapple. Got a deal once, about a dollar a pineapple, got 8 of them, used 7.

This was for a Pineapple Lime Mint mead. Sunshine in a bottle.

Matrix

I was planning on 100% pineapple juice and honey and dilute with water to hit my OG.

+1 on add to secondary.

Also, dried pineapple (no sulfur dioxide added) provides more pineapplely (is that even a word) than fresh.

+1 on add to secondary.

Also, dried pineapple (no sulfur dioxide added) provides more pineapplely (is that even a word) than fresh.

Pineapple is something I have wanted to try as well, but haven't gotten around to it. When I do, it will probably be fresh fruit in the secondary, but I may try the dried.

Am I correct in assuming that dried pineapple has a stronger flavor when compared gram-for-gram to fresh or is there some sort of curing process that goes on to enhance the flavor components?

Pineapple is something I have wanted to try as well, but haven't gotten around to it. When I do, it will probably be fresh fruit in the secondary, but I may try the dried.

Am I correct in assuming that dried pineapple has a stronger flavor when compared gram-for-gram to fresh or is there some sort of curing process that goes on to enhance the flavor components?

I am not sure, I mean yes it could be more potent, gram for gram. But have you ever tasted unsugared dehydrated pineapple? Not very flavorfull. I would go with the actual fruit. To me, you would get more flavor. Also, go with the whole fruit, not canned. Any canned fruit will have a watered down flavor and have sryup added to it to sweeten it up. The raw un-adulterated fruit. Easy to slice up. Lop the top off and the bottom with the stem. Then cut strips off of it from the outer skin. You end up with a nice barrel shaped peice. Then you put that in the freezer, in a zip lock bag, until your secondary. Thaw, put the juice in too and slice into strips then cubes and put in a mesh bag and then into the secondary for a month, well 2 weeks will do. But when you take out the mesh bag you can then strain it and end up with very little pulp left as it renders all of it's juice. I didn't even use pectin. Easiest fruit to deal with. Much easier than pears, peaches, cherries (depiting), or even oranges (skin and seeds and zesting).

I have done 2 pineapple meads and they are good. Need to oak the one in the carboy and then bottle after clearing...It will be an epic taste: Pineapple Lime Mint.

Matrix

I am not sure, I mean yes it could be more potent, gram for gram. But have you ever tasted unsugared dehydrated pineapple? Not very flavorfull. I would go with the actual fruit. To me, you would get more flavor. Also, go with the whole fruit, not canned. Any canned fruit will have a watered down flavor and have sryup added to it to sweeten it up. The raw un-adulterated fruit. Easy to slice up. Lop the top off and the bottom with the stem. Then cut strips off of it from the outer skin. You end up with a nice barrel shaped peice. Then you put that in the freezer, in a zip lock bag, until your secondary. Thaw, put the juice in too and slice into strips then cubes and put in a mesh bag and then into the secondary for a month, well 2 weeks will do. But when you take out the mesh bag you can then strain it and end up with very little pulp left as it renders all of it's juice. I didn't even use pectin. Easiest fruit to deal with. Much easier than pears, peaches, cherries (depiting), or even oranges (skin and seeds and zesting).

I have done 2 pineapple meads and they are good. Need to oak the one in the carboy and then bottle after clearing...It will be an epic taste: Pineapple Lime Mint.

Matrix

Thanks for that info Matrix. I generally like to use fresh, but when I heard the dried may have a stronger (ie "more pineapplely") flavor I got interested. I know many herbs cure and develop more refined flavors (or more potency, depending on the herb) as they dry and during a relatively short curing process, but I don't know if that carries over to pineapple.

And no, I have not ever tasted dried pineapple so I don't know what it actually tastes like. I do know from experience, however, that fresh fruits vary greatly in their flavor based on ripeness, which might be the most difficult part of using fresh fruit.

I will probably be using fresh.

What other combinations have you tried? Have you ever combined pineapple with blueberry?

Beersmith did a video cast with a meadowy in Vt. The guy did this as his first mead, pre going pro. Hated it at first. Put it away in his basement, forgot about it. Five years later he said it was awesome.

Thanks for that info Matrix. I generally like to use fresh, but when I heard the dried may have a stronger (ie "more pineapplely") flavor I got interested. I know many herbs cure and develop more refined flavors (or more potency, depending on the herb) as they dry and during a relatively short curing process, but I don't know if that carries over to pineapple.

And no, I have not ever tasted dried pineapple so I don't know what it actually tastes like. I do know from experience, however, that fresh fruits vary greatly in their flavor based on ripeness, which might be the most difficult part of using fresh fruit.

I will probably be using fresh.

What other combinations have you tried? Have you ever combined pineapple with blueberry?

I like combining fruits with spices. I did a Raspberry Thyme that was to die for. Also, Pear Nutmeg. Vanilla Almond. Vanilla Lime Mint. Lemon Lime Hydromel (low alcohol under 10%), I also did an Orange Vanilla Cream. If you do blueberry, put some lemon juice in it, about 1-2 cups for a 5 gal batch. The acidity makes blueberry taste MORE blueberry. It's weird. Hmm, what Else did I do: I currently have an apricott almond spice. I did a spiced pumpkin that turned out well. I have been experimenting with nuts more. I have a Vanilla Hazelnut Mead going. With nuts you first have to make an extract of the nut so that it will work in the mead. Oh, the other strange one that turned out very good is the Bamboo Jasmin. I used bamboo tips in the primary and "oaked" with some bamboo leaves and used 1/2 oz of Jasmin in the secondary. Turned out great, it's crack and some people that didn't like mead tried it and liked it.

Also, never ignore oaking. Not all meads need it but most can benifit from it. I did 3 batches side by side the same batch and oaked with Light Toasted oak, Medium Toasted Oak, and Heavy toasted oak. Each turned out distinctive and flavored differently.

Matrix

Beersmith did a video cast with a meadowy in Vt. The guy did this as his first mead, pre going pro. Hated it at first. Put it away in his basement, forgot about it. Five years later he said it was awesome.

Many times people forget to age their mead. You need to age it at least 6-8 months. A year is preferred, and longer if your flavors are oily such as Chocolate or Coffee, those take 2 years at least.

Matrix

Did a mead w fresh pineapple last year. Don't recall the amount used, but came out way too acidic. Like the idea, but will have to work on that one.

Did anyone try using coconut water in this mead?

In the 2 that I had pineapple in, I did not. To expensive of a proposition for me. Water is cheaper. But if I do a coconut mead, I will see about trying it.

Matrix

Did anyone try using coconut water in this mead?

Have not but there is a thread here re coconut mead.

I have tons of them at my place and use them for lots of things, but natural coconut water goes bad very fast (like 24 hours) after removed from the nut (perfect w a shot of rum though). And the store bought junk generally has loads for sugars and preservatives added.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Home Brew mobile app

I have a semi on-topic question.

I am doing an apricot melomel/mead. I started 9/2/2013 with a straight mead. I made the basic mead per the guidelines in the sticky in this forum. Active ferment was 9/2-9/22.

9/22 I racked off the primary yeast and into a 5 gallon carboy, adding K-Meta and potassium sorbate to shut down any yeast.

On 11/6/13, I racked off the lees again and onto a 3# can of apricot puree. The racking and sulfite additions must have worked because there was no notable additional fermentation.

I may have gone too long at this point. But the mead is still in the carboy with the puree. Is there an upper limit to how long I can store it on the puree? I want to bulk age for close to a year from the time my ferment began. But I'm not sure if I need to rack again, or whether it's fine to just leave it with the puree. At this point. Most of the solid matter is at the bottom and I have just been waiting for it to clear.

I have a semi on-topic question.

I am doing an apricot melomel/mead. I started 9/2/2013 with a straight mead. I made the basic mead per the guidelines in the sticky in this forum. Active ferment was 9/2-9/22.

9/22 I racked off the primary yeast and into a 5 gallon carboy, adding K-Meta and potassium sorbate to shut down any yeast.

On 11/6/13, I racked off the lees again and onto a 3# can of apricot puree. The racking and sulfite additions must have worked because there was no notable additional fermentation.

I may have gone too long at this point. But the mead is still in the carboy with the puree. Is there an upper limit to how long I can store it on the puree? I want to bulk age for close to a year from the time my ferment began. But I'm not sure if I need to rack again, or whether it's fine to just leave it with the puree. At this point. Most of the solid matter is at the bottom and I have just been waiting for it to clear.

I am not sure about the upper limit of having Mead on the fruit. That said, I recomend racking it off of the puree, and letting it clear. The flavor is already there and you wont get any more with it sitting in the carboy. The only thing that the puree is doing is preventing it from clearing. Here is what I suggest:

1. Rack off of the fruit.
2. Wait about 2-3 months for some clearing to happen.
3. Rack again when the sediment pack is around 1/4 inch.
4. If it isn't clear in another 2-3 months, run a clarifyer. I use Sparkloid.
5. After clarifyer, let sit for about a month and clear.
6. Oak it with about 1 oz of light toast oak chips or cubes for about 2 weeks.
7. Remove oak and rack.
8. When it clears a bit more, THEN you can count the aging time to start. Bulk aging is fine but it don't count it as aging until it is clear enough to read through.

Mead Takes Patients. In the end you will end up with a wonderful mead.

Matrix

Also, Pear Nutmeg. Vanilla Almond. Vanilla Lime Mint. Lemon Lime Hydromel (low alcohol under 10%), I also did an Orange Vanilla Cream. If you do blueberry, put some lemon juice in it, about 1-2 cups for a 5 gal batch. The acidity makes blueberry taste MORE blueberry. It's weird. Hmm, what Else did I do: I currently have an apricott almond spice. I did a spiced pumpkin that turned out well. I have been experimenting with nuts more. I have a Vanilla Hazelnut Mead going. With nuts you first have to make an extract of the nut so that it will work in the mead.

I was thinking that the acidity of the pineapple may have a similar effect, but since I like the flavor of straight pineapple better than straight lemon I thought it may end up sweeter/more tropical-tasting.

My next flavor experiment is going to involve blueberry, Vanilla, Clove, and one other fruit, but I really like the idea of using nuts/seeds. Sesame is one of my favorites, and tastes amazing lightly toasted. Can you describe the processing you use for nuts? Is it similar to making a "milk" or other water-based extract?

I was thinking that the acidity of the pineapple may have a similar effect, but since I like the flavor of straight pineapple better than straight lemon I thought it may end up sweeter/more tropical-tasting.

My next flavor experiment is going to involve blueberry, Vanilla, Clove, and one other fruit, but I really like the idea of using nuts/seeds. Sesame is one of my favorites, and tastes amazing lightly toasted. Can you describe the processing you use for nuts? Is it similar to making a "milk" or other water-based extract?

Actually it's similar to making a vanilla extract. Not sure how much flavor I get.

1. If nut tastes better toasted, such as a hazelnut then toast.
2. If toasted while still warm, I put through a coffee/herb grinder on a rough grind. Not going for a paste but going for a break up of the nuts, sort of a chunky nature.
3. Put in Jar with a sealable lid about 1/2 full.
4. Fill up with an alcohol 30-40% to about 1/2 inch to an inch above, after you shake it to get full emersion and a the amount above. I use clear white rum, cheapest I can find. Some People like vodka. I can't stand vodka so it's white clear rum. The more inexpensive the better.
5. Once a day for 1-2 weeks, shake to fully dispirse and keep it from settling.
6. let sit for about 2 months.
7. Strain out the liquid. I use a metal screen once, then use it again with a paper towel and squeeze out as much liquid as I can.
8. Let settle for a week and run through a coffee filter.
9. Sometimes I simmer it down on a wide frying pan to reduce the liquid. Very low simmer for about an hour. This reduces the volume by about 1/2. It's optional.
10. Put back in a clean jar until ready for use on adding it to a secondary when the mead is about clear.

That's it. Vanilla is the same except you split and scrape the beans (6 beans to 1 cup of rum) and put the pod in after cutting up into about 1 inch size. You can also do this with orange zest or lemon zest for a lemon or orange extract. Expect most extracts except vanilla to be about 1/2 as potent as comercial brands. Vanilla is more potent. Also, mint is good. You just muddle or bruise up the mint and pack the jar 1/2 full of the leaves. But that is how I make most extracts. I don't toast almond and do a batch of at least 2 pounds of nuts (usually takes multiple jars) for a 5 pound batch of mead. But of other types, use your judgement. A little mint goes a long way.

Lets see the extracts I have made: Vanilla, Mint, Lemon, Orange, Hazelnut, Almond and Genseng. I have yet to try Walnut or other nuts.

Matrix

So the boyfriend has his heart set on having a pineapple mead. All of the research I done so far comes back with horror stories of other people's failed attempts or posts that never give updates. Really haven't found enough 'successful' information to attempt a test batch. I did have a thought today while at a kitchen supply store picking up some supplies. I apologize in advance if this is some sort of mead brewing blasphemy. LOL. Has anyone ever just tried making a plain mead and just back sweetening it with one of those Torani-style pineapple flavored syrups? Do you think you would be able get enough pineapple flavor without it being overly sweet or chemical tasting? I have no idea what the syrup actually tastes like so I'm really tempted just to buy some to find out. I'm sure it won't go to waste whether it ends up in a mead or not. Anyone ever try this?

The syrup likely has a lot of added sugar so may kick off a secondary fermentation...not necessarily a bad thing as long as you are prepared for it. If so, it will bump up the alcohol content slightly and may leave behind pineapple flavor.

He could brew a batch of plain mead and then experiment with blending using small amounts. Or brew two batches, one plain, one pineapple and then blend to taste.

I've yet to try pineapple again. My first attempt was way too acidic.

I do know from experience, however, that fresh fruits vary greatly in their flavor based on ripeness, which might be the most difficult part of using fresh fruit.

When buying fruit, try to get it in season (for all fruit), and with fruits like pineapple, melons, papaya, even mangoes, give them a good sniff. Ripe fruit will give off all its fruity ester-rich aromas, unripe fruit will not, and some fruit it treated (with carbon monoxide gas??? nitrogen? not too sure which) to stop them ripening during storage, e.g. apples. Leaving bananas around untreated apples will make the bananas ripen faster, as the apples give off ethylene gas, which helps fruit ripen (in fact, it can also be used by growers of pineapples in particular to help them produce the fruit, in the form of a ripe apple placed in the growing crown of the plant).

Underripe fruit contains more acid, less sugar, and less flavour, while overripe fruit can introduce rotting enzymes, bacteria, and fungi...all great things for infecting a batch

A ripe pineapple will have a yellowing skin and smell like heaven

The syrup likely has a lot of added sugar so may kick off a secondary fermentation...not necessarily a bad thing as long as you are prepared for it. If so, it will bump up the alcohol content slightly and may leave behind pineapple flavor.

He could brew a batch of plain mead and then experiment with blending using small amounts. Or brew two batches, one plain, one pineapple and then blend to taste.

I've yet to try pineapple again. My first attempt was way too acidic.

The attempt I thought about making (I'm doing the brewing by the way, not him) would let it ferment to dry so a secondary fermentation shouldn't be an issue. I was just wondering if anyone had tried it and knew how readily the pineapple flavor of the syrup comes through. Don't want to have to put in so much that is like candy just to get a hint of flavor. Or a chemical flavor for that matter.

And I can't brew a pineapple batch without a proven pineapple recipe. I can't find one that anyone says does come out drinkable.

Also, never ignore oaking. Not all meads need it but most can benifit from it. I did 3 batches side by side the same batch and oaked with Light Toasted oak, Medium Toasted Oak, and Heavy toasted oak. Each turned out distinctive and flavored differently.

Matrix
Quoting a REALLY old post
I mistakenly made a batch of pineapple (32oz frozen) and thought it was a little light on flavor after the the second racking so I added some light oak... the leftovers from the racking proved me wrong as well as what I had kegged four weeks later. The pineapple overpowered the oaked keg batch and the original batch from the racking.

Quoting a REALLY old post
I mistakenly made a batch of pineapple (32oz frozen) and thought it was a little light on flavor after the the second racking so I added some light oak... the leftovers from the racking proved me wrong as well as what I had kegged four weeks later. The pineapple overpowered the oaked keg batch and the original batch from the racking.

Well, one way to thin out the flavors is to blend the two meads into one.

So you ended up with too much oak or couldn't taste the oak for the pineapple?

For me, it is common that the oaking is not something that is tasted because it mostly softens the sharp edges of flavor and smooths out the flavors. This is why I like doing it. By the sounds of it you got a good batch.

Matrix4b
(Or I am just not understanding)

Latest posts

Back