Pineapple IPA, but more pineapple flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KW9375

Reaction score
I love the aroma and initial flavor of Ballast Point's Pineapple Sculpin IPA, but the pineapple flavor dies away very quickly, which isn't all bad since the Sculpin IPA is so good. However, I personally would prefer the pineapple flavor to linger more throughout. If there is a way to balance the hoppy IPA flavor with the delicious pineapple flavor from the beginning to the very end of each drink, that would be perfect. Yeah, you can criticize this....it's supposed to be beer with a hint of pineapple...or tell me to brew a cider...or whatever. But no, I want a pineapple IPA where the pineapple is present from start to finish.

So, I brewed a batch recently, attempting to accomplish my goal. I've read some conflicting and contradicting things about using real pineapple because the acid can kill the yeast, and if you throw pasteurized pineapple in the keg, you have to drink it pretty quick or it can spoil. I don't really know...so I just tried pineapple extract. The aroma is strong and delicious. The initial flavor has a lot of pineapple, but it quickly dies away and is replaced by hoppiness. At roughly 72 IBU, maybe that's too strong and it simply overpowers the pineapple? Or maybe the extract just doesn't have a lingering flavor? I don't know. Has anyone else had this challenge?

Here's my recipe:

Steep: 6oz Cara-pils
Fermentables: 7 lbs Light DME, and 8oz table sugar
Hops:
60m - .5 oz Citra
60m - .5 oz Equinox
10m - .5 oz Apollo
3m - 3 oz Mosaic
3m - 1.5 oz Citra
Dry Hop:
3oz Mosaic (5 days)
1oz Citra (5 days)