Pineapple & Grapefruit Candi Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessup

Reaction score
Hey Gang!

I just made 1,000 lbs of Grapefruit & Dark candi syrups in the mountains of Asheville, NC with my new company Age Old Brewing Candi. Pineapple is next. It will be available once my labels are printed. I'm looking to get internet distro cough....returnmyemailRebelBrewer...cough. I'm hoping there will be some interest in my new product from you folks, my fellow homebrewers!!!

So gauging interest..... would anyone buy Grapefruit or Pineapple candi syrup? Please let me know if you would be willing to give us a try. Maybe there's a free sample in it for someone out there :mug:

About Age Old candi syrups... The marriage of the tropical and citrus flavors into my candi syrups at high temperatures creates the most amazing flavors! Rounded, complex layers of fruits, crème brulee, almonds, and vanilla. And once you try my Dark candi syrup you'll never go back; Belgian galore! My aim is to keep the price point reasonable for all brewers. Why should we pay 3x what commercial breweries pay for the same product?

Papazian For President!!

Cheers! Age Old Brewing Candi.

Okay, I'll bite here. Nothing wrong with another option when it comes to brewing ingredients.

Do you have set pricing you're looking to meet? You say you're going to keep prices reasonable. Can you provide an approximate number?

Are you going to expand your product line to include other "flavors?" I ask because I've used a couple different syrups (D-90 & D-180) in some of my brews and am considering trying something different the next time 'round for the sake of comparison.

As far as what you're currently offering, the chocolate, dark, and Belgian syrups all sound interesting. Regarding the grapefruit and pineapple syrups, well, the purist in me wants to derive those flavors solely from hops, but it's an awfully inviting thought to be able to fortify desired flavors and get a bump in gravity at the same time. I'd likely give them a go at some time in the future.

I'm a relatively new brewer having started in March of this year. So, take my feedback with a grain of salt.

I would love to try the dark syrup and perhaps the pineapple. I use dark candy syrup in a few brews and the price at the local homebrew shop keeps me from using candy syrup more often.

The grapefruit syrup might be great in a big IPA or a really crisp, dry pale ale. The chocolate sounds intriguing too - a porter, stout or RIS with that sounds really inviting... I see no prices on the website... are you going solely for sales through retail channels?

I'm incredibly intrigued - I'd love to try any of it, especially from another Carolinian.

Glad to get some feedback! Thank you!!
I am selling wholesale only, but I'm selling to retailers at a price that should easily beat the competition. I am trying to undercut the competition since there's really only 1 option, and if the retailer gets greedy, then I can cut them off. I am barely making any money so why should the middle man make a fortune?!

The first flavors to hit market will be the Dark, Grapefruit, and Pineapple. The chocolate will be next. I've played with lots of different flavors, but had little to no interest in the Orange, Cherry, Blueberry, Raspberry, Lemon, or Lime. The Cherry or Raspberry seems like a great choice for those fruited Flanders Red and other fruited sours!

The Grapefruit is being used in commercial breweries in and around Asheville ; thank you Blue Mountain Pizza & Brewpub! Hopefully I can get a few more on board. So far all the Asheville homebrew supply shops are all on board so if you have a Fifth Season Hydroponics (chain store) shop near you the might be carrying my candi really soon. Internet distro is yet to be confirmed....

Awesome update - the Pineapple gives me ideas, so hopefully I'll see it around here soon.

I think a lightly flavored raspberry might go well in a quad as well. I've recently had Caracole Nostradamus which had a little fruitiness in the finish and it was quite good.

Also, a fruit flavored syrup might work well when one wants to brew something like a Flander's Red (which you have alluded to) off season when fresh fruit isn't readily available.

Keep us updated when you're able to find online distributorship. The store you mentioned doesn't have locations near me.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I think a lightly flavored raspberry might go well in a quad as well.
The Dark candi definitely has raspberry/blackberry dark fruit flavors. Really good for dubbels, BDSA, quads, or even a red IPA! Oud bruins and flanders would not be out of line.

If anyone is interested I am going to do a special limited time HBT variety pack for $22. The variety pack will include Pineapple, Grapefruit, and Dark candi syrups for $4.67 per pound before taxes or shipping. Thanks Elduder for the idea. Mods if this is a no-no just advise and I will delete the thread. Please PM me if interested and I will send you paypal info.

-Jesse

Latest posts

Back