Pilsner: Taking off, or melting down?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanos

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
So I just whipped up my first batch of beer from a malt syrup kit on Monday, and it's a Pils. Here's the low-down on how it's going

Day 1 (Tuesday): A thin layer of krausen, not much action. I had no temp adjustment for the batch, so it was probably at about 75 F.
Day 2 (Wednesday): Nice thick krausen with a layer of yeast building on top. Wort is still pretty translucent. Decided to wrap a wet towel around the carboy. Wort temperature unknown.
Day 3 (Thursday): Same as Wednesday.
Day 4 (Today, Friday): Krausen has thinned substantially. On one half of the wort's surface, the bubbles are still fine and white/beige. On the other half, the bubbles have become larger and more coarse. The airlock is bubbling about one bubble every 5 seconds or so. The thing that I'm not sure about is the fact that the wort has become cloudy.

I'm a newbie, so please bare with me. Is this cloudiness normal? I don't see/smell mold. Truth be told, the closet it's in smells phenomenal. Is the cloudiness just a yeast "bloom" of some sort?

Thanks a million for the input!

Evan

its a pils so you will will probably aim for clairity as your end result.... I suggest secondary carboy, thats just my opinion though... It will ditch most of the cloudiness and filter it out..

no worries cloudiness is very normal it will happen with all light colored beers untill you decide to do secondary... but, there are plenty of unfiltered beers that are known for being unfiltered and delicious. Its all a matter of opinion and what you are chasing as a final product. It is your beer, make it what you want it to be :)

Back