Pilsner & Hallertau Mittelfrueh SMaSH with hopstand.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robcj

Reaction score
I brewed this recently and although I knew others have had success with SMaSH beers, this was my first and I’m pretty surprised how well it turned out.

I added the Hallertau Mittelfrueh at 60 minutes, 15 minutes and then a 15 minute hopstand. I’m really pleased with the Hallertau. I was expecting straightforward flowers and spice but I think the hopstand added some additional hop flavour complexity. It’s floral for sure but coupled with what seems like citrus and maybe even a little white wine. It’s great, really. Not what I expected but great.

Has anyone else done a hopstand with Hallertau?

I've done it with hallertau blanc, the white wine note is really very nice. I also used mandarina with the h blanc and the combination was outstanding. Hooray for noble hops!!

Hallertau Mittelfruh is really nice. Saphir is also wonderful. If you want something different than all the new sexy, tropical, most wanted hops everybody is using, I highly recommend trying german grown Brewers Gold. :)

I brewed a sort of a Vienna Kolsch with Hallertau Mittelfruh and Mandarina Bavaria in the whirlpool. Turned out very good, crisp, delicious and too easy drinking.

Last edited:
I brewed this recently and although I knew others have had success with SMaSH beers, this was my first and I’m pretty surprised how well it turned out.

I added the Hallertau Mittelfrueh at 60 minutes, 15 minutes and then a 15 minute hopstand. I’m really pleased with the Hallertau. I was expecting straightforward flowers and spice but I think the hopstand added some additional hop flavour complexity. It’s floral for sure but coupled with what seems like citrus and maybe even a little white wine. It’s great, really. Not what I expected but great.

Has anyone else done a hopstand with Hallertau?
Mittelfrüh is also one of my all time favourites. If you want a bit more spice, but like the general direction, try using Czech saaz next time. Saaz is also one of my favourites. If I would need to choose one of these two over the other, I wouldn't be able to.

They are both really nice as late additions and hop stand.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back