pilsner & carapils recipe. what you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inda_bebe

Reaction score
im thinking of brewing a APA and keeping it simple with only 2 malts. Pilsner and Carapils. i want the beer to be dry, light yellow glow and will let the hops shine.

OG 1.065
IBU 50
90 min. boil
ferment between 65f-68f
100% RO Water

80% Pilsner
20% Carapils

mash at 150f

Simco hops @ 60 min./ 20 min./ 5 min./whilpool/ 3oz Dry hop

maybe some table sugar at 10min. to dry it out more

Sulfate levels around 200ppm

any feedback is greatly appreciated

I would cut the carapils to 10%. I don't like that much crystal malt in my lighter/dryer/hoppier beers, personal taste. Sugar isn't a bad idea.

You aren't going to get dry with Carapils. The point of it is that what ever points you put on the OG you are also putting on the FG. Then you counteract the unfermentables by adding a 100% fermentable?

It's something I see a lot in recipes that makes no sense to me.

I'd skip the Carapils and the sugar and add just enough Crystal or Vienna/Munich malt to get the color you want. If you want it dryer than 75% attenuation, then add sugar to the recipe or lower your mash temp.

I'd skip the Carapils and the sugar and add just enough Crystal or Vienna/Munich malt to get the color you want. If you want it dryer than 75% attenuation, then add sugar to the recipe or lower your mash temp.

i want the FG to hit somewhere around 1.010 and the color as light as i can get it, thats why im using Pilsner as the base malt. i would like a little bit of sweetness so it doesnt taste like hop water. what about i change it to:

90% Pilsner
5% Crystal 10
5% Rolled Oats (for body and to keep the color a bit cloudy to hold that yellow glow)

and mash at 148f

Florence1.jpg

beer_172436.jpg

IMAGE_701.jpg

I have that works more-or-less out to, assuming a 75% efficiency:
11lbs Pilsen
10oz Crystal 10L
10oz Oats
SRM = 3.7
OG = 1.067
FG = 1.017 (assuming 75% attenuation)

I think 148F would be a good mash temp to try to bring the FG down. I don't know if that will get it all the way down to 1.010. I also think keeping the SRM below 4 is what you need to match that beer's color.

i want the FG to hit somewhere around 1.010 and the color as light as i can get it, thats why im using Pilsner as the base malt. i would like a little bit of sweetness so it doesnt taste like hop water. what about i change it to:

90% Pilsner
5% Crystal 10
5% Rolled Oats (for body and to keep the color a bit cloudy to hold that yellow glow)

and mash at 148f

This sounds pretty tasty to me. I might sub flaked wheat for oats.

I often perceive pils malt to be a honey/bready flavor. I guess what I'm saying is that perception of malt can counteract the "hop water" effect without requiring unfermentable sugars.

If you ever feel like experimenting, try 100% high quality pils (might add a couple % acid malt for pH) mashed at 154 with the same hop bill. I bet it would be great. edited to add: If you do this, I might not go so high on the sulfate. I'd probably keep it around 100 or so.

i got the idea of using oats from tired hads. what would be the difference in oats and wheat? just so i understand better. and ill tone down the gypsum

Oats can give a slight slick/silky mouthfeel. I find wheat to have body without that slick feeling. It's probably pretty subtle. I often put a bit of wheat in my ipa's and pale ales. Was just throwing it out there as an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back